Bubble Tip annenome coral

C

coral

Does anyone have one of these? They are really cool looking. I am thinking about buying on that I saw yesterday at a fish store. Do you think that $29 is too much to pay for it? It is big but not huge. Should I get a clownfish to help it grow?

I have one and $29 is a fair price for one and while having a clownfish can be beneficial in acclimating/keeping the anenome, it is not neccessary.
Anenomes require strong lighting (around 4 watts per gallon), nice water circulation and need to be target fed (mine likes squid, krill, and shrimp). From what I remember about your system, your tank is still cycling. I would advise you to wait about 2 months after your cycle finishes as anenomes can be sensitive.
Miles

jonthefb

actually miles, anemones have a much better survival rate in captivity if you have a host clownfish for them, as the clown cleans and even feeds the anemones. if you want to keep an anomone (other than a condy) i would strongly reccommend gettting a host clown for it, however you can keep clowns without havign to keep an anemone...
miles is right that anomones do need intense lighting as they derive most of the energy from the products of their zooxanthellae, but also benefit from target feedign of meaty foods, such as krill or other raw shrimp...what are the specs on your tank, i.e, size, lighting, inhabitants, etc..if you can post this info we can hlep you to better determine wether your ready for an anemone or not!
good luck
jon

jon, I agree with you but I just don't think that it's absolutely necessary to have a clownfish for the anenome to survive. I think that if you kept it properly fed, had adequate lighting, good water circulation, and have great water conditions, the anenome should do fine. That's just my humble opinion.

C

coral

I bought the annenome today. It is really cool looking. I have not bought a clownfish yet but I will in a few weeks after my tank settles down from the new guy.
I only paid $29 for it. I almost bought this real cool looking fish too but I decided that it was too much money. It was a Korean Anglefish. Really cool looking swirls in it. I asked the guy at the store and he told me it was ok for a reef fish. I asked him to call me when he had a smaller one that would not cost so much. $79 for a fish?

C

coral

I just took back all of my mushroom rock because people said it was too early for me to have it. Should I take back my annenome coral too?
Travis

Yes, take it back immediately. Your tank has not finished its cycling. The anenome will probably die and poison your tank.
Miles

jonthefb

and i would not trust a person who told you that a koran angelfish is safe for a reef....first off these guys get huge when full grown and i would say will need a 125 to 150 gallon tank MINIMUM, and second, they are NOT reef safe, as the majority of their diet is feeding on CORAL POLYPS, SPONGES, and other things desirable for a reef tank....i would highly reccommend you gettign adecent book during your cycle and read up on the fish/inverts and workings of a tnak this way you can minimize your losses down the road!
good luck
jon

coral boy

I also would not trust your LFS guy sounds like all he wants to do is make money when he looks in your eyes all he sees is $$$

mkengr45

Damn, sounds like you need to find a new LFS. I have only been in this for about 2 months and have never heard of a LFS stickin it to anyone this bad. My tank 20gallons, seaclone 100 skimmer, wet/dry with 20g sump, rio 2100 pump, PC lighting, and 25# fiji live rock. It has been setup for about 2 months and i havent added anything at all. I know being patient sucks, but you can kill a bunch of neat stuff if you rush it. take your time.
Randy

C

coral

I took the mushrooms back to the store. They will keep them for me but only for two weeks. that should be long enough for my tank to settle. I tried taking my annenome coral out of the tank but it is really soft and squishy so I think that it is dead. I put it in the garbage and it never moved so it must have died. Why did this happen? Maybe I should have just left it in there and not messed with it?
I plan on going to the pet store again and buy a book. This is really hard stuff to get used to.
Travis

bwets_angel

Coral if you had known anything about anemones you would have known that what you described about it is normal for them. It doesn't mean they are dead. Sounds to me like you killed that anemone. You need to do some research before taking anymore lives please.