Bubble Tip Problem

kaholic

My BTA has been deflated for a month now and it never looks any different from this. I've had him about 2 months and had big fat tips and looked well when I bought him. He placed himself under a rock where he's not getting a lot of light but as bad as he looks, he is still eating silversides every few days. I've read that they are tempermental and sometimes deflate but he has been the same for a long time. Is there something else I can do to help him out? My parameters are all 0. PH is 8.10-8.30, Calc is 450-500, Temp is always 77.5-78.5. Any suggestions?

shelley

I'm not that much of an expert on LTA, but it looks like maybe because of where he attached I think you may be correct in that he's not getting enough light?? Perhaps someone with more experience than I could comment. If he is still eating that is probably a good sign.

40 galons

first off what light do u have .. the bta is definaltely loosing color, you ? from the look of the tentacles it looks like it could make a good comback if whatever is wrong with it is corrected. lighting plays a big role in the survival of these

kaholic

I have 520W on a 55 gallon. They're not halides but even if it's a lighting problem, shouldn't it be ok if I'm supplementing with silversides? It is eating the silversides. It just doesn't ever seem to get much better than that in the pics.

ginarox

my experience with a bta,,,mine had attachted himself to one rock and was doing really well, i thought well its found its home..will the next day,, he was under the rock like yours was,,, i just knew it was going to die,,,but a few days later,,, it moved again to this other place on the rock and seems to be doing really well,,,,just give it some time...but good lighting is a must,,,i have halides lights, i hope this helps,,have a great day....

rykna

I feed my anemones krill, and brine shrimp. i have read that when bubble tips have their tentacles extended like that that they are hungry. I do not have any anemones currently, but I have kept a curly q, a sebae, and a bubble tip. All of them were varacious eaters and made quite the pigs of themselves I fed them every other day. Usuall 2 large krill thawed and topped thatoff with a squirt of brine shrimp depending how fast they slucked up the krill. Keep us posted

alyssia

Originally Posted by Rykna
I feed my anemones krill, and brine shrimp. i have read that when bubble tips have their tentacles extended like that that they are hungry. I do not have any anemones currently, but I have kept a curly q, a sebae, and a bubble tip. All of them were varacious eaters and made quite the pigs of themselves I fed them every other day. Usuall 2 large krill thawed and topped thatoff with a squirt of brine shrimp depending how fast they slucked up the krill. Keep us posted

By extend do you mean lose it's bubbled tips? Because Thomas told me that is perfectly normal for some bta's. Mine hasn't had it's bubbled tips for ages.

rykna

True, is in very normal for them to loose the bubble tips, especially when they are hungry. Areyou sure it is a bubble tip. I purchase a supposed bubble tip on line from ***********....the little guy that arrived I discovered latter was a long tentacled green anemone. The do have very similar apperances, especially when the LTA draw in their tentacles. From the picture your anemone looks quite happy. If he wasn't it would be shrunken and withdrawn.
Have you tried repositioning the rock so it gets more light???

puffer32

My bubble tip doesn't bubble either, also hides in a rock without much lighting. Go read what viper had to say about it on the clownfish and anenome board yersterday.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Rykna
True, is in very normal for them to loose the bubble tips, especially when they are hungry. Areyou sure it is a bubble tip. I purchase a supposed bubble tip on line from ***********....the little guy that arrived I discovered latter was a long tentacled green anemone. The do have very similar apperances, especially when the LTA draw in their tentacles. From the picture your anemone looks quite happy. If he wasn't it would be shrunken and withdrawn.
Have you tried repositioning the rock so it gets more light???

The bta in the pic isn't mine. I'm not the original poster. But yes, I'm sure my bta is a bta. It was bubbled when I got it.