Bubble tipped anemones

tigerlover

I've heard from many places that the bubble tipped is the hardiest anemone. This I'm pretty sure of. But I have also heard that they can be kept under flourescent lighting, if this is true, then wouldn't those be some pretty strong flourescents? Tell me what you know about this one, I'm pretty curious after hearing that anemones all need lighting beyond that of which flourescents are capable of providing.

T

thomas712

There are flourescents, and then there are flourescents.
Example NO flourescents are not enough to keep an anemone alive, many time they are the wrong spectrum, not enough wattage, poor par value..etc.
Then there are HO flourescents = hight ouput, better but not quite there.
Then there are VHO flourescents, these are what I prefer to use on anemones and reef tanks. With Bubble tips I kept them alive and multiplying with 380 watts on a 55, and then on a 90. I have since moved up to VHO/MH combo.
Then there are PC flourescents, Not alot of experience with these but they are comparable with VHO but still not as good IMO. But many folks like em.
My suggestion is to be with either the VHO or PC lighting as a minumum for Anemoens, Depending on the depth of the tank you may have to go with Metal halides, only that type of lighting has the punch to get the useable light to the bottom of say 24 inch deep tanks.
Thomas

tigerlover

Also, if I got a BTA, and put it near the tip top of my tank(96watts, 50/50, made by Aqualight, i think) would this be sufficient?