Bubble ? with pics + 2

rwhite

We added a bubble in early April I'd say and it was just looking awesome tonight and had to post a pic. I'll start with the day 1 pic followed by tonights pic and then the question. Heres day 1:

rwhite

And now the question: Will the tissue continue to grow from the skeleton and cover more area or does the skeleton need to grow in proportion? The reason I ask is that the org. frag/skeleton does not seem to be any larger to me and the way its placed, the rock/skeleton is not really touching the larger pc of LR its sitting on. I tried to get a pic, but its not the best, hope it helps. I'm hoping what ya'll will tell me is its fine the way it is and the skeleton (the thin blades) will grow and not necessarily have to be touching the LR. Guess the only way to tell if the skeleton is growing is if the tissue recedes, and I know we dont want that. Heres the pic of the base.

rwhite

And the preggers cleaner favorite station, a cave under the button polyps. I'm surprised the hubby wasnt in the same spot, usually they're together.

salty cheese

Originally posted by rwhite
And now the question: Will the tissue continue to grow from the skeleton and cover more area or does the skeleton need to grow in proportion?

From what I've noticed from mine. Yes and yes, the tissue does grow out and at the same time so does the skeleton. HTH

rwhite

Perfect, Salty! Thats what I figured, but just needed some reassurance. In essence, would it be correct to assume that if the tissue gets bigger that the skeleton is also growing? The reason I ask is we dont supplement the tank and wanted to make sure it is getting enough cal. to continue to grow. The only other true skeleton growing coral we have is a favite. We're using Oceanic salt right now and it seems to be keeping our levels almost perfect.

spline9

I have a orange cup sun coral. Since I got it, the polyps have gotten enormous. The calcerous cups dont seem to be growing, but the gf says they are. I'm sure it takes a lot longer for the skeletons to grow as opposed to fleshy tissue. When the polyps are open, it doesnt look like the same coral we originally brought home. I guess its doing well! :joy: