Bubbled discosoma

jaymz

Has anyone seen these before? I search the forums and could not find anything. My lfs had a couple of them with the name Bubble Morph. It some sort of discosoma. Its pretty big about 3"-4" across when fully bloomed which it is not in the picture.

Hope my tomato clown hosts it. Ever since I lost its bta during a tank move it has been hiding in the back. I have been looking for something nem like. I dont wanna do another nem i have too much coral. Looking for a good sized torch. but this thing may work.

jaymz

I have actually tracked this thing down. It is not a discosoma shroom, it is actually a rhodactis sanctithomae mushroom. From florida/caribbean.
Its pretty cool. Now that it has had some time in my tank it has opened up and it huge. Ill try to get some more pics later.

jaymz

Now that i have had this thing for a few days and it had opened up and has to be almost 5" across. I noticed it has 2 mouths, i have circled them below. Does anyone have and experience with Rhodactis mushrooms. Will it take a long time to split on its own or can I cut it between the mouths? With all those delicate bubbles not sure if cutting it will be easy.

paintballer768

Once there are two mouths, I think its only a matter of time, and from what Ive seen with shrooms, they can split fairly fast. I would just let nature do its thing IMO. No unneeded stress on such a pretty mushroom.

jaymz

Those are real nice.. Both the red and the blue green. How long have you had yours? how often do they split?

cahuama

I have a Rhodactis mushroom just like yours. When the lights are on it is absolutely beautiful and when the lights are off it shrivels up. My tomato clowns just love it, they host all day.
Enjoy it.