Bubbles from Skimmer!

B

bcarp

I bought a used (LFS thinks)Berlin skimmer hang on with a rio 600 motor for $50 from the fish store today. I ran it tonight and it is putting a million little bubbles in my tank!?!? What am I doing wrong? I messed with the Air intake, but still does it. My tank water (New set-up)is only a week old, but was crystal clear till I started running this skimmer. Let me know what you guys and girls think? Thanks!

B

bcarp

Anthem thanks for the info. I hope they go away soon. Driving me nuts! Patience is the key though to this hobbie. Now i know why!

h2o

with a tank only few weeks old i don't think you need the skimmer right away. but would be good to try it to see if it works of not. just a suggestion.

tankstolove

Like anthem said give it a few it will work. Adjustment may need tampering after that. Though the skimmer is worth the initial break in patience used. You'll see once your collection cup is full.

B

bcarp

Thanks for the info guys!! I am sure glad they have this message board!!!!

richy rich

All the fine bubbles your seeing are in fact from stress coat or any other gell you added when u introduced any fish.Ring a bell?? Either way it takes 5 to 7 days for the skimmer to break it down.You'll have to keep fine tuneing the skimmer to get it to skim right.Water changes will some times bring small amount of fine bubbles also. hope i helped.....Richy Rich

B

bcarp

Richy Rich, hey thanks! Now I know why I have all those bubbles. I put stress coat in the other day. So i guess i should plan on having them there for another 4 or 5 days! So every time i change my water i should expect that!?! That sucks! My tank was so clear till I put the skimmer on. Thanks again!

B

bcarp

Ed, What should I use? That is what LFS told me to use when I set up the tank and for water changes. My tank has only been up for 8 days. Let me know what you think!?!

B

bcarp

Ed,
When I had my 55g I used to fill up a 5 gallon bucket and put 2 cups(depending if my tank salt is low) Salt, air stone, and a heater to match my tank water temp. I would let it sit for 24 hours then put the water in. My fish did awesome. Do you think that is alright? The only reason I tried the stress coat is because LFS recommended it. So Dont use it either when you introduce a new fish to the tank? They(LFS) said to use it then too. Thanks for the info!!!

B

bcarp

Thanks again for the info. This is a excellent Forum for info. ONe more question. Do you keep your water the same tempature as your tank before you put it in? THanks

richy rich

Every time a fish is netted or handled, its protective slime coat is disturbed, causing aloss of essential electrolytes through the skin. Thats one of the two reasons to add stress coat when adding fish. The only other thing stress coat does is it removes chlorine from your kitchen sink water when doing water changes. If you are on town water.If you are on your own well dont bother with stress coat at all. (dont need it) Fact of the mater is if you keep useing stress coat you will keep having them fine bubbles............ Keep fishing they will bite. Richy Rich