Bubbles - good or not?

jab47303

Hello, and first let me introduce myself. I've lurked here pretty much since starting my 29g tank in late July. I'm returning to the hobby after a 5 or 6 year hiatus (that was a whole other era in the hobby, if I remember correctly).
Anyway, to my question. I'm currently in the process of 'dialing-in' a DIY protein skimmer, (I don't do this to save money, I love the DIY stuff). One problem I'm experiencing is small bubbles in the outlet, and therefore back into the tank. Is this beneficial or harmful? Without advice, I would think to a point beneficial. But someone tell me. Btw - at the flow rate that suits me, they are pin-head size bubbles, and not so dense that the water appears cloudy.
Oh yeah - the critters so far:
Blue Damsel (the boss)
Lantern Bass
Mandarin (eats anything meaty - even frozen brine)
A pair of peppermint shrimp
A dozen or so Red-Legged Hermits
A dozen or so various snails
1 Sally Lightfoot
2 Zoanthid colonies
1 Recordia colony
I'll add one or two more small fish as time goes by, and perhaps more Zoanthids and Recordia. I will never attempt to maintain sponges, anenomes or clams in this tank.
Thanks, and hello again.

fender

The bubbles shouldn't harm anything but they may be annoying, depends on how you feel about it. I have heard of problems with air bubbles with some corals and sponges but I don't have any direct experience to draw on.
On a side note - I agree DIY is a very satisfying aspect of the hobby.

kreach

I try not to have any bubbles in my display tank at all, simply because it drives me crazy if my water isn't crystal clear... personal preference though.
Oh... and by the way...
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!

scottnj

I think you want to watch and make sure the bubbles are not getting down under live rock or corals or anything of that nature as air isnt real good for them. Other then that if its just a few not too much of an issue. (I get a few from my sump return as well but they are limited to the very top of the tank.)
Other questions on your skimmer are you using a counter current design? THat might help get rid of some of the bubbles...
And I am with you, love the DYI projects.
-Scott

jab47303

Thank you all for the advice. Now I can get back to my tinkering with fewer worries. :)
Scott: I'm not sure what fractioning process the skimmer would be classified as using. I found the idea and plans on a website and saved them to my hard-drive. It's by an Alexander Krob and named 'The World's Ugliest Protein Skimmer'. I modified dimensions, and hung it on the back of my tank.
The problem is the flow rate is way too high - about 50GPM I estimate. Should be 1/4 or so of that I think. Problem is, maintaining an 18" column of water without stalling a smaller pump.
Anyway - I'll kick that around on the DIY forum one of these days.
Thanks to all,
John