bubbles in a horse tank

larrynews

ok everything i have read , i thought said no bubbles in a horse tank, but how do you get oxygen in the water and some of have started putting some sort of bubble is our tanks and the horses have responded in a positive way, so is it bad or is it ok, like to have an air stone along the back wall

zeke92

people have different opinions. some poeple think it's dangerous because they can get air in there tummies and stuff.
if you want to add oxygen to your tank there is too ways to do it.
1. risk the bubble problem and put bubbles in the back that they will play in
2. add an airline to your powerhead, this will pull air automatically from the air around the tank into the powerhead and out with the water. it will basically add bubbles to the output of the powerhead. most powerheads have holes to put the tubes in on the top or something.

poniegirl

Contrary to popular belief, pouch emphysema in a seahorse is not caused by oxygen bubbles, but by an excess of interal gas.
An air bubble would have a very difficult time getting into a pouch from the outside.

teresaq

the bubble you want are large not the small micro ones from an air stone. From what I have read.

rykna

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
http:///forum/post/2462551
Contrary to popular belief, pouch emphysema in a seahorse is not caused by oxygen bubbles, but by an excess of interal gas.
An air bubble would have a very difficult time getting into a pouch from the outside.
Not to mention that 99% of all the online seahorse farms show pictures of their breeding tanks with air bubblers in them

koi lady

The male can get bubbles in his pouch, but that is when he is inflating it during courtship to get it ready for the eggs.
I have been thinking that maybe I'll try just running the bubbler during the night and leaving it off during the day and see what my parameters are. I have seen almost all my horses back in the bubbles, they seem to like it.
I will post the results when I have them.

larrynews

so after having the stone in the tank for a few days now the sh seem to be doing great not breathing hard and color looks better, i'm hoping that is part if not all of the problem, because my lfs has about 12 new horses in....