Bubbles in DT

tim514

Every minute or so my return line has a burst of bubbles creating microbubbles in the DT. It is not an extreme amount of bubbles like the pump is sucking air. I thought it was because my return line was not fully sealed, so I cemented all of the pipes but it is doing it more frequently now.
I have a 75gal tank with a 20gal sump. The return pump is a Mag 7 and the plumbing is a straight shot up to the DT (no turns).
What could be causing this? Any Ideas?

pezenfuego

It sounds like your pump is sucking in small amount of air and after it is built up to a point, it pushes it out. That's kind of a guess/something to think about. Does your pump create a vortex?

florida joe

I thought it was because my return line was not fully sealed, so I cemented all of the pipes but it is doing it more frequently now.
FYI any air introduced into your tank has to come from before the pump anything with a hole or not fully sealed after the pump will leak water

tim514

So the bubbles are originating before the pump? I have a skimmer where the water enters my sump. Then I have a bubble trap and then the water goes into an open section that I was going to set up a refugium but the only thing in there is a rock/heater/ph probe. Then I have another overflow wall where the water skims off into the section where the pump is and nothing else is in that section.
Could the last overflow wall be causing bubbles as the water falls over the wall? But the bubbles are coming in bursts into the DT. I can post a sketch/picture of my sump if that will help trouble shoot this.

tim514

The return pump (Mag7) is to the left and water enters to the right of the sump.
The white pipes are my phosphate reactor pulling water from the skimmer section and returning it to the middle section.

pezenfuego

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the pump collects microbubbles over a period of time and when the build-up is substantial, it releases the air into the tank. Look very closely to see if any bubbles make it that far. If they do, try putting a piece of filter floss between the final baffle.

el guapo

How high is the water level in the final chamber of your sump? If it is too low there is the possibility it sucking air.
Basically what I am saying is if your pump is putting out X amount of GPH, But the water returning to the sump is moving at a slower rate then the water level in the final chamber is going to go up and down. This will cause you to get erratic bursts of micro bubbles into the display. You might have to run a larger return pipe from the DT to the sump.
Also if the water flowing over the last baffle is falling too far it will create bubbles in the final chamber that will get pumped into the display. you might have to add something to help the water transition into the last chamber in a less traumatic way.

tim514

I have some foam stuff that came with the pump that is over the intake of the pump to trap debris. Could that be causing turbulent water to enter the pump?

el guapo

Originally Posted by Tim514
http:///forum/post/3245431
I have some foam stuff that came with the pump that is over the intake of the pump to trap debris. Could that be causing turbulent water to enter the pump?

No, If anything that will help.

pezenfuego

Whether this is helpful or not, I'm going to add it to your thread.
"Microbubbles" are not harmful to a saltwater tank or its inhabitants. The only exception to this is the sponge. If "microbubbles" reach a sponge in a large quantity, the sponge may die.
I don't know if you knew this or not but I just assumed that this was an aesthetic issue.

tim514

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3245440
Whether this is helpful or not, I'm going to add it to your thread.
"Microbubbles" are not harmful to a saltwater tank or its inhabitants. The only exception to this is the sponge. If "microbubbles" reach a sponge in a large quantity, the sponge may die.
I don't know if you knew this or not but I just assumed that this was an aesthetic issue.
Well i did not know this. I heard somewhere that the microbubbles can get caught in the gills of some fish and hurt them. I just got a tang and didn't want the bubbles to cause the tang to get sick and have a huge ich outbreak or something. But now, if it dosnt hurt the fish, then it is just an asthetic problem.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Tim514
http:///forum/post/3245451
Well i did not know this. I heard somewhere that the microbubbles can get caught in the gills of some fish and hurt them. I just got a tang and didn't want the bubbles to cause the tang to get sick and have a huge ich outbreak or something. But now, if it dosnt hurt the fish, then it is just an asthetic problem.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php
I have been looking for this! lol
It's myth 14.
Who knows, the whole sponge thing may not even be true.