Bubbles in my sump???

ok i had my tank set up since late feb early march(2nd run) just about 2 and a half months ago i set up a sump , bought a skimmer, live sand ect... anyways, i have 5 ppm or less of nitrates, ihave had good water quality for a long time now, and the tank is at is prime, well lately i been getting bubbles on the glass in the sump,first it started out small amounts here and there, now i have tons of bubbles
what would cause this and is this a bad thing?

broomer5

I'm guessing your skimmer is in your sump ?
If so, check the discharge of the skimmer and see if it is producing and bubbles. If it is, and you can't prevent this, sometimes you can discharge the skimmer into a tall glass or plastic jug that sits in the sump, and it may help to contain any bubbles, and keep them from floating around to other parts of the sump.
Are these bubbles getting sucked up by your return pump and appearing in your display tank ?
Do you have any microalgae or live sand, live rock in your sump ? Bubbles could be a product of plant respiration.
Aside from small nitrogen gas bubbles produced by denitrfying bacteria in your sandbed, or oxygen gas from algae , air bubbles are not generally considered a good thing in a reef tank.
Good luck
Brian

well i do have my skimmer in my sump, but its practly no bubbles being retuned, besdieds i have a spoung under the return to also stop even more from getting though, yes i do have macro algea in there, i also have live sand and live rock
the bubbles arent near the return pump its not even floating around, there mainly stuck to the glass and every once ina while come up, as long as its not a bad thing im not concerend about it, but i just wanted to make sure that its not harmfull, or better yet shows good signs of health

guppie

I had the same thing happen with my skimmer i was just useing a spoung and I was still getting the tiny bubbles, I put the spoung into a cup with a bunch of holes in it and this helped. Just a thought. Good Luck