Bubbles!!

beaver

New skimmer, jebo cheep-o on 29 gal.. I know that when they are new then make bubbles. My question is how long is this going to happen, and is it harmfull to my tank to have so many bubbles in there? Its not as bad as I have heard some people say there skimmers are when new. I can see everything in my tank. Just clowdy with bubbles. Should I let it break in in a bucket or will it be ok in the tank?

monalisa

Beaver,
I can't answer this, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what kind of responses you get. I'm getting my skimmer this weekend, and I want to know how to go about "acclimating" it, if it needs to be done.
I'll be watching.
Lisa :happyfish

xjayx

I had the same question not to long ago.
I was told to cut a piece of nylon filter and put it on the water return so it could help trap the micro bubbles.
I did that and there are still bubbles that leak through but it helped.

beaver

Yeah there is an air intake ajustment nob. I have palyed with it a little. The instructions said it may take a few days for the skimmer to start "produceing" whitch its not makeing any black stuff just yet. Ill try the filter thingy. Im content to wait a week or so before I start to think there is anything wrong with the skimmer... I dont think there is. I just want to know if the bubbles are gona kill my fish or anything like that.. too much air in the water?

ohiorn67

Hello, the bubbles are not great for the fish because it is not good for their coats. I am sure will probably not hurt them for a day or two but I don't think I would let it go for that long. I would call the company or email them maybe see if they have a prefilter box of sort, I have a remoraC and I purchased the optional prefilter bubble box it did wonders for the skimmer. good luck :happy:

beaver

I think its getting better today, I did the filter pad on the return thing witch seemd to help some.. just ziptied a pice of prefilter to it. All in all its leting up a little. Its still not makeing any big bubbles in the collection cup or collecting any dookie. I think its part of the break in. there are parts of the tank with no bubbles that the fish can hang in now. So I dont think im too worried about it now. I would like it work though

beaver

I got sick of the bubbles and tryed to make my own bubble box. I took a specimen box and hun it right where the water comes out of the skimmer. So it has to fill up the box and then run over the side of the box. Its hard to tell if its helping or not since I spent a long time messing around with it and turning it on/off so its bubbleing quite abit now. It seems like it SHOULD help, but its hard to say if its working or not at this point. Also it changed the direction of the water flow from at an agnle to almost stait down now... its hitting right on my new colony of zoos.. Is it bad for them to have alot of curent? I think it would be fine if not for the bubble bath they are getting atm. They seem kinda pissed about it and where staying in, but that could have been becuse I had the lights of while I was messing around. Any one think bubbles are bad for zoos? :confused:

xjayx

If it's anything like the Visi Jet skimmers, one thing that might work is just to make your water return shaft longer.
Probably replace it with a longer piece of PVC piping or something so that the bubbles don't reach the bottom.
That's just something I've been thinking about doing to my skimmer to keep the bubbles out of my tank.

wax32

Zoos love current so don't worry about that. On the other hand they won't really like getting pelted with bubbles if there are any still to talk about.

snipe

The jebo skimmer will take alittle while to break in mine took around a week or so to do its job. They will stop. Once they stop they will stop for good. Make sure you have the hose hooked up to the point on the ventri other wise that will cause problems. I would open the air up all the way and close it back down until the water is like in the pic below. I have my jebo 180 and it works great. I can take it off and clean it put it back on and it works like new with "no" bubbles. Its just a new thing.

beaver

Tank you, thats very helpfull. Looks like im doing it right, it just needs to break in I supose. :yes: