Bubbles!?

sherms

Hey i have got a question, my filter has a bad o-ring and is causing bubbles in my tank and the soonest i can get another o-ring is next week. My question is i have heard bubbles hurt the fish.....is that true?

xcdennisx

yah it can hurt smaller fish and can cause them to die, thats what i heard but never acually had it happen, what kind of tank do you got and circulation? can u turn ur filter on till u get a new o ring?

rcdude1990

yes bubbles r fishs and corals worst nightmare
its bad for only salt water fish
the bubbles get caught into the fish's gills and cause them to stress out and die
if i were u i would stop the filter and go out ASAP to get a new O-ring

sherms

ok that helps how long will it be alright for the filter to be off........i have a 92 corner with an XP3 as my filter.

autofreak44

how small does a bubble have to be before its bad for the fish? also how many of them does there have to be? theres a few misc bubbles floating around in the aquarium, is that enough to hurt/kill a fish?

mtennant

Could you use a FILTER SOCK FOR BERLIN SUMP?... I'm useing it to stop all my bubbles coming into my DT.. But i'm not sure too b/c I still have alot of bubbles too. I try my best from trying to stoping it!!!!!! :notsure: :help:

baloo6969

take a piece of filter pad and put it over return...
in a pinch use teflon tape to thicken up the end, if needed. then secure the pad with twist ties. but change the pads every few days.
asci illustration...
== is the teflon
| is the twist ties
_|_______

[hr]
==- }

[hr]
==- }
_|_______}
if the bubbles are real bad, get a filter pad that's a pouch and fill it with some bioballs, it will help disperse the bubbles.

adroitmind

I would not worry about bubbles if they are only there short term. It took about a month for my skimmer to work right and the whole time i had tons of micro bubbles. IMO bubbles getting caught in fishes gills is pure myth. Some types of inverts i would be careful of though.