bubbly, venomous foxface

i love fish

my foxface which i have had for about 6 months just recently keeps getting himself covered in bubbles, could this be a sign of some skin disease?
also my new juvinile emperor angel tries to clean him and he tries to spike her with his venomous spikes. Can he pose a threat to the emperor by poisoning it?

fordsvt04

bubbles could be ick. My blue tang and fox face were the ones that would always get it. I got a 25 watt uv and have not had a ick break out yet. He is just doing that for protection. Mine does it all the time to some of my fish but have not seen anyone get hit by it. But from what I understand if it does get hit it will die. Thats why it is called venomous. But i belive they would have to get into a nasty fight before that happend.

L

lsu

Does your skimmer produce a large amount of micro-bubbles? The same thing happened to a foxface I had, just had to adjust my skimmer and no more bubbles.

i love fish

thanks for your reply,
I thought it was ick to begin with, but now, I don't think it's ick, because the do come off and on and sometimes the foxface has them at diffirent sites on his body or fins and they are of various sizes, big, little etc.

L

lsu

I assume that it is due to the size of the fish. My foxface was the only large fish in that particular tank and was the only one that would have micro-bubbles attach to its body.

reefmate75

i had a clown in my sump for 4-4.5 months and it would surf the top of the water and his top fin would stick out of the water and that part of the fin turned white and would keep dieing off and growing back, but when he was down in the sump he would collect alot of bubbles all over his body and i watched him when he had the bubbles he treated them like parisites, he would slam hiself aginst the rocks i have down there and would get alot of them off..IMO he did this becuse they bothered him so how can it be non harmful to them, i had him down there becuase i friend brought me another goldstriped maroon just like him but the new one was much larger and i added him anyways and the new one almost killed mine after 2 days of fighting, i put him down there to heal and he did heal but it was torture down there for him, he didnt act right swam at the top for long times and his top fin would rot off from being out of the water for so long..but now hes back up top with the bigger one again and has been for 3-maybe4 years and in that time ive done alot of "testing" with maroons ive learned alot from my own experiments. ANY ways my point is do your best to get that micro bubble problem fixed...it cant be good for the fish, AND!!! your tank will look alot clearer...its kinda like when you clean your glass...if you skip cleaning the corners becuase they are harder to do it dosent look as clean as when you take the time to clean what little bit is there

i love fish

thanks for the input, I switched the skimmer off for abit and left it, then checked on the fox, the bubbles just seemed to come off with time. It doesn't seem to bother him much but my emperor angel hates the sight of them and keeps popping them, which is really getting on his nerves.
So now gotta do something about the skimmer.
thanks