Build a 125gl Reef Tank

lemonshark

OK, Hello everyone!
This is how it starts. You set up a tank once before and you acquired the knowledge and understanding on how it all (or almost all) works.
From you experiences build a 125gl Reef Tank.
This is what you got:
1. 125gl rectangular glass tank
2. Stand
3. Canopy
What you need to add now is the type of sand, rock, filter, lighting, etc. At the end of all add your favorite fish, invertebrate, corals, etc.
This is more like a poll actually. It will help me a lot for my empty tank I have at home. I own a 55gl tank that it is still cycling and I already want to migrate to my new 125gl.
Anyone?
Thanks!

jarvis

Currently I am running my 150gal reef (softies and LPS) as follows:full 6 inch deep sand bead, 350ish Lbs of live rock and dry base rock mix. (Dont have a clue on how much is in display vs sump), 2200gph of cirulation (I want to add a little more). One thing I would have done diffrent is make a stand out of PVC and eggcrate material to elevate the rock, that way I am wouldn't have all that buried rock. I definately recomend a built in overflow. It is wonderful. I have also included in the pluming a valve making my water changes almost atomatic (I love it). I wish I would have went closed loop circulation. I have plans to build a 2piece refiguium and sump filling up almost the entire cabinet under the tank (more room for sand and live rock and whew hew I will have calurpa:D ) I am currently running 860watts of VHO lighting and am going to be droping it down to 640watts and adding 3X250 Iwasaki 6500K (darn those people posting all those great pictures of clams :p ) Look into what types of coral you want to keep (softies, LPS, SPS). I can not enfesize enough READ, READ,READ. A good test kit is a must and it really does gives you a very good understanding of how your water chemestry works. favorite fish is blue green cromis, invert:blood shrimp, corals:wessophillas

jarvis

Originally posted by dreeves
sucked in...hook, line and checkbook...hahahhaa
It always leads to bigger...

Agreed LOL. One nice thing about researching before you setup you can nickle and dime your system as you go along on the reef venture if you cant afford a killer setup. I didnt mean to scare you away by my post. What kinda buget are you looking at?

lemonshark

Budget it’s not an issue. But the question is; how would you build a 125gl Reef Tank?
I did research and I already have a 55gl Tank. I just wanted to know how you guys would build yours after your experiences. Your answer, in a way, will help me decide on what filtration to use. According to the posts… I will know what filters are mostly used for a reef tank. Remember, if I go to a pet shop, they will try to tell me I need this and that and this and that. Some equipment I might not need at all. Like a “Sheller” when I can use fans on the canopy or UV.
Again… it’s how you would build it… not me and budget isn’t an issue.

dreeves

Tank, overflow (if it isnt drilled), either PVC or flex PVC, fittings, sump, return pump, circulation pumps/powerheads, heater, skimmer, lighting (bigger is better), live sand, live rock, cleaning and maintenance equipment (net, siphon hose, etc).
Sched 40 PVC is easy to work with, flex PVC tubing is expensive, and somewhat conveniant.
A drilled tank is personal choice over a non-drilled tank, personally, I do not like drilled tanks.
Enough flow through (tank>sump>tank) circulation to turn the tank water (my own preference) 7-10 times an hour.
Skimmer...skimmer with a large reaction chamber is best for me.
heater, for a 125 I would think about a 300 watt. If it shorts out or whatever, it isn't big enough to rapidly heat the tank to dangerous levels thus increasing the chances of you catching it before disaster.
Lighting, if budget isn't an issue...Metal Halide, being budget is an issue for me...I do not have MH yet, can't offer any suggestions on that.
And prior to buying anything from your LFS, look online for the particular item first...usually way cheaper.