building 300 gallon acrylic tank

sign guy

I throwing around the idea of building a 300 gallon plexi tank. I have plenty of vendors but I dont think resinbond(weld on) will hold it together dose any one have any other ideas?

phixer

Weld on is the most widely used, some folks like #40 but its a completely different animal. Much written about this in other posts. Caseway also makes acrylic cement if you dont like Weld On. Polycast GP is best IMO. I recommending prepping your edges with a CNC router, more precise and perfectly smooth. As far as cementing, the technique will depend on how thick your panels are.
How tall?

sign guy

31 tall I have alot of cnc routers at my finger tips but dont you think a fineshed edge would be better?

phixer

A CNC router with a vacum hold down table will produce the best most uniform edges possible. Much more accurate than the human hand can do. For 31" high I would use 1" thick. Sure you can go with thinner material but it will bow noticibily.
It can be hard to find shops CNC cuction tables longer than 8FT.

sign guy

I plann on 1.5 inch sheets tank would be 31 x 25 x 96 with no euro bracing and I even thought about building the back sides and bottom out of concrete. what do you think?

phixer

A 4X8 sheet of 1.50" will hardly bow at all. The plywood shark tank I took apart last month used a 1.5" 4 X 8 sheet. Concrete if done right works great. If you want I can send you a sheet load of links with both plywood and concrete tanks using glass and acrylic. phixer@mail.com

sign guy

Originally Posted by Phixer
A 4X8 sheet of 1.50" will hardly bow at all. The plywood shark tank I took apart last month used a 1.5" 4 X 8 sheet. Concrete if done right works great. If you want I can send you a sheet load of links with both plywood and concrete tanks using glass and acrylic. phixer@mail.com
you got mail

reef-fisher

hey signguy. noticed youre thinking about a 300gal or so. was thinking of one myself. not to hijack your thread, but what are your reasons for going with acrylic instead of glass? was actually thinking about glass myself. guess i should start another thread about pros and cons, eh?

sign guy

not a whole lot of thought into it. I could get glass if I wanted but Ive heard that plexi is clearer

phixer

Originally Posted by sign guy
you got mail
Sign guy have you had a chance to check out those links?

phixer

Originally Posted by reef-fisher
hey signguy. noticed youre thinking about a 300gal or so. was thinking of one myself. not to hijack your thread, but what are your reasons for going with acrylic instead of glass? was actually thinking about glass myself. guess i should start another thread about pros and cons, eh?
Here you go:
http://at-home-and-tanked.com/acrylic.html

turbo21

phixer,
could you send me those links too?
as i told you before we are gonna build a large tank
8 ft wide 6 ft high 42 inches deep
do you think 1 inch acrylic will be thick enough
s-typer@hotmail.com
bob

sign guy

Originally Posted by turbo21
phixer,
s-typer@hotmail.com
bob
you got mail

phixer

Originally Posted by turbo21
phixer,
s-typer@hotmail.com
bob
Sounds like SG already sent them. If I understand you correctly L/W/H 96" long, 42" wide and 72 tall right? If your tank is going to be 6FT tall you will need much thicker material than 1" . Even 1.5 would be too thin IMO. Would have to check the thickness calculator or email the MFG but Im thinking at least 1.75 to 2" thick, otherwise it will flex and bow like crazy.
If 96" long, 72 wide, and 42" tall 1" is still too thin. 1.25" is safer but will bow slightly. I would use a standard 4 X 8 sheet 1.5" thick. I believe the CYRO site has an acrylic thickness calculator it's a hassle because you have to register and fill out a form to get into the site. I would call Polycast (Spartech) 1-800-243-9002 as ask what thickness cell cast they recommend for you.
Although you can build higher with 1" I would not recommend any taller than 32". From the tanks Ive inspected taller than 42" using 1" acrylic they bow and eventually begin to craze at the seams (fine hairline cracking, spiderwebs) from the pressure.