Building a Custom 2154 Tank

djmd04

I am currently waiting For the drawings and plumbing options to get done on my tank. It will be 96"X72"X72" which is 2154 Gallons. My question is, the main purpose is to have at least one shark... I do not think nor do I need more than one. i have a LIST of questions
1.) What is the "best" shark for a great saltwater fish keeper but a novice shark keeper.
1.a) Reasons why
2.) Best type of lighting
3.) Best type of filtration Wet/Dry, Chemical, Mechanical, ALL? in sequence? Should I have a refugium tank?
4.) Should I use anything else that sharks like?
5.) I will definately do all the research before I purchase one and I would like everyone here to help. I have the resources to purchase what is needed, but sometimes the most expensive is not neccesarily the best! and thats why I need your help
6.) I am having the tank hooked directly "From the water in the house... to a "Mixing tank" to a water tank to hold on the side.. which will "This is where you plug in X amount of times per...(day) (Month) of water change? I know you should do a 20% change in my fish tanks but do sharks require more because they are messy eaters?
7.) Should I have a UV?
8.) Does the shark you suggest like current? (wave machine?)
9.) What size or how many proteins skimmers should I get for a shark and a tank that large?
10.) How many over flows should I have put in?
11.) What type of water flow GPH should be going in and out?
12.) I will listen to every word you say but particularly I would like to only hear from those who have tanks and sharks.... Please if you do not please do not reply any type of message so I dont get confused as I am very serious about my tank and I would not like to waste any time sifting through the garbage.

cincyreefer

1.) Bamboo or most any other bottom dweller.
2.) Metal Halide looks the best but lighting is dependent on the situation and the setup and what you are trying to do with the lighting.
3.) Filtration- Whole lot of possibilities here... not really one correct way. I like using a huge skimmer, large UV, maybe a tower of bio-balls, and a fuge sure wouldn't hurt.
4.) Depends on the type of sharks. Bottom dwellers obviously prefer rock work to crawl around in, while the requiem sharks will pretty much want as much open space as possible.
5.) Agreed
6.) Water changes will depend on the system. Pretty much sharks follow same type of routine as fish or reefs. 20% every two or three weeks, although that is a whole lot for a system that large. I think that 50-75 gallon water change every couple of weeks should be good.
7.) I highly recommend it, but I seem to be one of the few to somehow always be lucky and not kill everything in my tank using it. At least that is what you find if you read what most people say who have never used one.
8.) I haven't found flow to make much of a difference to the fish, however you will want good flow for water quality issues.
9.) As big as possible... unfortunately you would probably be looking into a RK2 skimmer or possible the largest Euroreef might work. The ETSS are very good skimmers for large tanks as well.
10.) Depends on setup and how much turnover there will be.
11.) Depends on setup as well. General rule is about 10x tank volume, but large tanks are hard to go by most of the "rules"