Building a refugium

sobsts

Im finally ready to stock the 30 gallon refugium. Need advice on what kind of algae to go with for nitrate and phosphate removal (major problem because of crushed coral) and also what kind of light to put in a 24" one bulb strip light?
Thanks for the help
Dave

martinc909

I would do chaeto. Why not ditch teh cc before it's too late? chaeto has to be tumbled somehow by current. check out melevsreef.com, he has a page where he compares a 2,250k(maybe off) & 5,500k(maybe off also) Power compact bulb. and it showed that the higher spectrum light (5,550k) makes the chaeto grow faster. Good luck.

xdave

Chaeto and 5.5k light. If you have clear return tubes you might want to wrap those if they start to get algae inside.

gatorwpb

Cheato all the way. I just made the transition from Caleurpa to Cheato a week ago and the cheato is already growing like crazy. I have a 26w 10k PC over my 20 gal fuge.

sobsts

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to get my 90 gallon drilled and take the cc out plumbed down to a 30 gallon with live rock than it moves into the refugium and pumps back in with a 1100GPH pump. I have a single strip light for a 10 gallon that im going to use and everyone seems to say 55K bulb so i will try that with chateo. Thanks again everyone.