Building a Tank into a wall in my basement. Need advice please

sylock

I'm finishing my basement and am thinking (I have to decide by Sunday) about building my future tank into the wall. I figure I will make a room that is about 5 feet deep and 10 feet long to house the tank, sump, lights, and all my supplies. Is there anything I should be thinking about when designing this? Will the water that evaporates from the tank be a problem if the room is shut off? Should I put a fan in the room to exchange air faster with the rest of the basement? Thanks for your time.

broomer5

Sound great - I envy you very much.
I always thought this would be the ideal set up, and only thing I would make sure you have is a water source and drain/sink, and a reservoir for water.
All nasty wet work done behind closed doors
Good luck ! Sounds like a great project.
Broomer

garyfla

Hi
I'm thinking of doing the same thing except
between the living room and office I've done it several times with planted tanks but this is the first marine.Each was better but there was always something lacking and this time I want to do it right.Once you fill them with water there's no changing you mind.
Send me a post and we'll discuss it
MStark7789@aol.com Gary

von_rahvin

remember that it can not get too cold. since you are in the cold north this may be a problem for you if you put it into an exterior wall. I am drawing up plans for a 8000 gall in wall reef tank. I figuered i had to have a seperate room for all the filters and that i wanted it centrally located so the temp dif from out side would not shock the tank. :)
other thought is how tall do you want it?? you are going to need a few feet of space above the tank to have the lights etc, and then you have to have a way to actually access the tank itself. Best of luck. my dreams are still a few years away. post your pics :)

:cool: consider finishing the tank room with bathroom grade mold resistant paints. also try to add a fan with an exterior vent (like bathrooms) for moisture removaL. design the electrical system for future upgrades. keep all of your outlets and switches up high to prevent electrical shorts. add a work bench and storage cabinets. :) :)

jimi

I built my 110 into the wall. It looks great. I used 4" concrete block for the base. I have not had any moisture problems in the room.I will post some pics.