Building and addition to the fug.

muse1

My first build thread..figured..well since we are making an addition, why not post it.
So this is what we got. The way our refigum is set up we have a had time getting to the filter socks when they need changing. Solution..build an addition. Here is where the filter sock compartment was.
The back of our tank..We have to reach in this tight spot pull it out, try not to get water everywhere. Here is where it will go

Clear container hold our top off water. that is now out of there and on other side of the tank.

Nice empty spot
Here is what we have put together so far

attaching the bottom, just layer. Will reinforce it with double acrylic.

muse1

Ok so those pictures were from a few days ago. This is where we are as I type
Bracing for the top lid
This is the lid. PVC drilled so water goes thru filter sock from water inlet.

Perfect fit
Not quite done but this is how it will look under the cabinet

Todays project put in double bottom, caulk, dry, drill, plumbing.

snakeblitz33

looks good.
I hope you leak test it before you fill it up underneath your tank.
I also hope that you are using PVC solvent and cement for those PVC parts instead of silicone.
Just my observations. Keep us posted. :D

muse1

yes we are definelty using the solvent and cement. It will be going in the tub for a few hours to make sure no leakage. Last thing I want is a blow out. And thanks!

acrylic51

What did you use for your solvent on your Optix material......What will the water height be in the new container.....

muse1

We roughed it up and use super glue. The water level will only be about foot maybe foot n a half.

muse1

Well we got it caulked, drilled the hole. Now just gonna let it dry. Not quite sure if we're using the elbow, or just drill into fug and use bulk head. we will see. Still have to test if it will hold water, and then change some plumbing from overflow.

acrylic51

I'd do extensive leak testing on the unit before placing it into service......Super glue very questionable as far as integrity....also not sure on material thickness, looking possibly like 1/4" material, and even at a water depth of 12" your going to see over a short period of time how much water the material absorbs and how much bowing will take place. You'll also see the bracing that's in place does very little for the structure......

muse1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391553/building-and-addition-to-the-fug#post_3473279
I'd do extensive leak testing on the unit before placing it into service......Super glue very questionable as far as integrity....also not sure on material thickness, looking possibly like 1/4" material, and even at a water depth of 12" your going to see over a short period of time how much water the material absorbs and how much bowing will take place. You'll also see the bracing that's in place does very little for the structure......
Yes thanks for the advise. we totally agree. We are going to let it sit with water for a few days. Have you used that "weld #4" before? I was doing so research and found some info on it. Thinking we should have used that instead. Guess there may still be time, lol
As far as the the material thickness, our fug is 1/4" and is about 50 gal. so we felt comfortable going with that size. Also it will have bio-ball and some LR for filteration.
Please keep the input coming though, its appreciated. I attached picts of my fug too. Let you know if it can hold it's water.

acrylic51

Have I used WeldOn 4......My poison of choice.......

I started doing acrylic work with WeldOn 3, but the evaporation time is a tad to quick....4 is just a hair slower, but seems to work perfect.......Honestly 50 gallons with 1/4" material would scare me to death using super glue.......I like to over build, though, but think you've created a disaster waiting to happen......

This is the start of my custom acrylic build....1" thick material, and all that was used to join the tank was WeldOn 4.....I did use WeldOn 40 as well, but that's another monster in itself, but trust me, I'd honestly scrap the tank and build it right. IMHO is not a deal "if" your fuge will hold together; but more "when" will it come apart......I would suspect when the material starts absorbing water is when things will start to get ugly, and you'll see your bracing isn't adequate, and the solvent doesn't bite enough.
Another question about your fuge is what did you use to prep the edges before gluing.......
Here's just the top bracing cut out for my acrylic build....Again I over build, but I'm not a gambler....1" thick material......You have better strength when you brace with "solid piece" material rather than multiple pieces, and it's been proven that rounded radius inside corners distribute stress a lot better than squared corners as well......

Just a few more assembly pics........As I had mentioned earlier edge prep is key to a good, strong joint, also a pretty joint as well.....

Check out my build thread, there's tons of pics and good discussion on building ideas and material choices as well....

muse1

Our actual fug, came with the tank when we bought it. It is very sturdy and solid It hasn't leaked at all. But since we didn't build it, I can't really say what material was used. We did fill it and let it sit though before we put in under the stand.
And for the addition we are doing, as far as prep work, we sanded down all the edges real good so the glue had something to grab onto.
As of right now it is filled with water and siting downstairs, so far, ok. We filled it on Saturday.
I am going to find some of that weld-on 4 though. And read thru your thread.
Keep ya posted. And thanks.

muse1

Well so far so good. The sock build still downtstairs, holding water. Been busy with work so haven't hooked it up yet but....NO Leaks,. that awesome news. Maybe this weekend we will get it under the tank.