Building new comp. Help with CPU

scooter8416

Looking at getting an AMD 64 3500 or 3400. Comp will be used for gameing. What one is better. Or even another cpu that would be better. I know one has 1gig cache and the other 512mb. What does this mean and what one is better? This is what im confused about, can anyone help.:confused:

chypriss

IMHO, i would go with an AMD 64 chipset, the "64" bit technology isnt really used alot right now, if I were you i would go with an AMD Athlon chipset, my friends and I have been using this for a long time and it has never failed us and we always get awsome performance out of it. The more cache you have the better, 1 gig is alot but you can run alot of things at once with it and have AWSOME perfomance.

moraym

After you figure out your CPU issues, cram that thing FULL of RAM. I've got 1 GIG of RAM in my Alienware gaming system, and it runs smooth on every game (with resolution and details maxed out). I'd go above 1 gig if I built a new system, RAMs cheap enough and makes A LOT MORE of an impact than most people realize.

chypriss

RAM cheap?!?!? What kinda are you talking about, I got really lucky on mine only because it came from a friend, its 512 of single channel DDR ram for 50bucks. But for a gig of dual channel DDR would be alot more expensive(but well worth it). I dont know if i can post this site but here it goes. Go to Pricewatch.com and you will find the best deals on PC parts other than the local computer show once a month here.

scooter8416

Right with the memory, I just gotta figure out what cpu I should get. Im still gonna go with a 64 bit processer. Just dunno what one.....
Ram is a lot cheaper then it used to be, u can get 1 gig of kingston for like 100-120 so, its not bad.
Im probably gonna get a PCI-Express vid card too, a x800 xl by ati, is the one im looking at. :thinking:

moraym

Originally posted by Chypriss
RAM cheap?!?!?

I tend to view computer in a cost-benefit way, and in that way a gig of RAM is cheap. Compared to the rest of my Alienware system, the RAM (performance-to-cost comparison) is cheap. A gig of DDR is not an outrageous cost if you're building a gaming machine, at least in my view.
If you're building a gaming system on a shoe string budget, well, that's not gonna be much of a gaming system.:D

chypriss

So did u buy the AlienWare PC it's self or did u build it from scratch. Thats the only way i build PC's, even though AlienWare is awsome, i think its alot cheaper to build it piece by piece. Im still working on upgrading mine, only thing i have left to do now is to get a video card, thinking about getting a Geforce(not to sure what card yet), and upgrade my processor, probably to a 3.2. Im not all into gaming as much as i use to be, but i still get an itch for it sometimes. I'd rather get my tank finished and then get my DSM back on the road.

moraym

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit scooter....
Last summer I travelled on business for literally three straight months, seeing my place only on weekends, so I just purchased the Alienware to save myself time and effort. I purchased it pretty bare-bones and added a lot of my own components once I stopped jet-setting, but it was just easier for me to have them slap on all the standard stuff for me.

jon.316

Yea i'd go with what i can with my own budget...aKA bigger budget better machine
BUT......
Best bang for your buck either way is Athlon 64 with 939 pin..
make sure u git 939 pin so you can upgrade to better chip in the future. they use the same sockets on motherboard so u can just pull n plug and bam u've doubled the speed when u git the bucks.
and dont plan on spending anything less then 2000 on a gaming machine...it just doesn't work
go to pricewat...com to check out prices...i've found they have the best sites on there anyways...yup better than ----...
i'd go with
athlon 64 3800
1 gig corsair...kingston or samsung is fine if ur on budget
radeon 9800 (dont git the AIW) its for vid editing
Sound blasta for good kicks
I'd also go with a good case and something like a.....true power 430 by antec.....amg case by antecs is freakin awsome:)
dvd cd -rw...mouse keyboard dadada n lil things on the side doesn't matter too much...good luck

maeistero

tiggerdirect.com if you remove one of the g's is really freakin' good too. beat's neweg lots of time on pricing and a really easy site to navigate and learn.