building new stock list, small fish

dwendler4

whats up, i have a 75 gallon tank that crashed about 6 months ago when i moved. i have kept the water level up and kept the LR/LS healthy. i am starting to get that itch again and i think i am about to start restocking my tank. what i want to do is get a bunch (dont worry im not going to overstock) of little fish. i have a friend that did this with his 90 gallon and it looks great, very full of life and lots going on. please help me decide on a list of smaller fish that will be compatible. here is what i want so far, please make suggestions.
six line wrasse
clown of some sort, maybe tomato- open to suggestions
4 green chromis
scooter blenny, maybe red
flame angel

rotarymagic

do they have to be really cheap?
If you're set on picking a semi-aggressive/aggressive clown, flame angel, and the sixline you'll need to make sure you're picking semi-aggressive tankmates.
I wouldn't toss a scooter blenny or any dragonet in a tank that hasnt been going for at least 6 months even in a 75 gallon... you need to make sure theres an extensive pod population so it doesn't starve.

debbie

Royal Gramma or Bicolor Psuedochromis for a nice punch of color. I believe they to are semi-aggressive.

rotarymagic

For about the same money though... blackcap basslet>royal gramma. Sunset and swissguard basslets are also nice. radiant wrasses, yellow wrasses..also nice.. I'd pass on a sixline.. very common and played out.

dwendler4

good opinions, a couple of things
technically this tank has been up and running for about 2 and a half years, it was up for about 2 years before the crash... would my pods go away if there has been only rock and sand in it for 6 months? i would think they would still be there, but i dont really know.
from another thread, i saw someone suggest a fridmani pseudochromis and a candy hog wrasse, i kinda like these. your thoughts?
also, no they do not have to be cheap... saltwater is a very expensive hobby, i dont want to pay a ton then skimp on the main thing that is going to be looked at, the fish. so let me know what you think about mid range priced fish. thanks.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by dwendler4
http:///forum/post/2878377
good opinions, a couple of things
technically this tank has been up and running for about 2 and a half years, it was up for about 2 years before the crash... would my pods go away if there has been only rock and sand in it for 6 months? i would think they would still be there, but i dont really know.
from another thread, i saw someone suggest a fridmani pseudochromis and a candy hog wrasse, i kinda like these. your thoughts?
also, no they do not have to be cheap... saltwater is a very expensive hobby, i dont want to pay a ton then skimp on the main thing that is going to be looked at, the fish. so let me know what you think about mid range priced fish. thanks.
candy hog wrasses look similar to swissguard basslets and I feel may be more aggressive than the basslet "version" lol.
fridmani pseudos look nice.. just watch the inverts.

dwendler4

thanks for your quick replies. i just noticed you live in austin, i am a student at Texas State in san marcos. you haven't suggested any fish, only told me they should be semi-aggressive. i am curious to know what you would choose for mid-range priced, semi aggressive fish.

aquaknight

That was me. I would ditch the tomato clown and the sixline wrasse. If you had to do a clown, look into a cool percula or ocellaris morph.
Then honestly IMO, you could do all of the other fish, the Candy hog, the Swissguard Basslet (I would actually do a Swalesi instead), and the Fridmani.

Bravo!
If only so many other people were into rarer/cool fish, we'd have so much more of a selection!

dwendler4

yeah i did take your suggestion, those are both good looking fish. also, yes, i wish that more people were into rarer fish. too often you see tanks with a plain clownfish, a yellow tang and a powder blue tang. looks good but yawwwwwwnnnnnn.....
thanks for all input... keep it coming, man i have missed the feeling of getting excited about stocking my tank.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2878389
im sorry, i didnt mean that you havent suggested any fish, you have. just curious to get some more ideas.
oh I took no offense... I was just trying to get more details before I started name dropping fish lol..
I don't want to name drop $100 fish and you only have $20 per fish to spend.
I LOVE alot of the basslets.. freakin sunset basslets... man they look great.. ~$100 and not very common either so you'll definitely have something that not alot of people have.
radiant wrasses look nice too as do christmas wrasses and yellow wrasses. They can all go together too as they're all pretty tolerant of other wrasses and are very active.
For the clown... just be careful... cinnamons, tomatos, saddlebacks, clarkis, maroons are all the most aggressive clowns compared with the wussier perculas and ocellaris.
If you're gonna do the chromis in the tank.. add like 5 and do them first as they'll be the most peaceful fish in a semi-aggressive tank.

dwendler4

also, knight, would you please elaborate on "cool percula or ocellaris morphs". i have only owned a percula and a tomato, and don't know too much about "morphs". where would one go about getting one of these?

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2878402
also, knight, would you please elaborate on "cool percula or ocellaris morphs". i have only owned a percula and a tomato, and don't know too much about "morphs". where would one go about getting one of these?
ocellaris come in standard, na*ked, picasso, black and white, misbarred, black and white misbarred, snowflake, and probably some other stuff.
percs come in black and white, onyx, standard, and misbarred variants.

dwendler4

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2878399
Sunset basslet>swalesi lol...
i am having a hard time finding a picture of, or a website that sells, a sunset basslet. if you wouldnt mind, do you think you could PM me with any links that would help? i am going to run out of the house but ill be back in an hour or so.

aquaknight

Here are the two off the top of my head. Black and White Ocellaris and a Snowflake (also called Picasso) Percula.