Bulb Brand

A

allenk

People tell me that they don't like Hamilton and instead prefer Phoenix and XM. I'm sure people will chime in with their reasons why. In my case, people were saying that Phoenix and XM were more reliable.

katz

XM is what I am going to switch to when I replace my bulbs. My LFS switch to them on his tanks and I like the look.

acrylic51

XM 10k's are great for growth IMO, but on the yellowish white side, but you have to play with

[hr]
orientation with bulbs.....Sunburst 12K's nice coloration but low par.....XM 15k's very nice color poor par......Radiums are super color as well. Ushio's are super nice, but on the white side and need supplementation IMO......

scsinet

Hamilton lamps have a reputation for color drift and poor long term performance. I've also worked with lots of people on here who suffered very premature lamp failure.
That said, I've got two halide systems running Hamilton lamps and have not had an issue, but I haven't exactly put a meter on the lights either to see exactly how they are doing.
My new tank I used the XM lamps that Acrylic hates.
I used XM 15Ks. So far, they are pretty good, but again, I haven't actually measured the PAR output myself so perhaps I could be doing better.

acrylic51

I don't hate XM bulbs........The 10ks are excellent for growth but alittle yellow IMO....you can play with

[hr]
orientation to bring color in, and I love the 15k's but the PAR is poor.....If growth isn't a concern then they are great bulb, but I was looking for growth......

acrylic51

I had posted a link a long time ago with the bulb study and readings of PAR of the major bulbs out there with different bulb/ballast combinations.......The link also has some pics of a tank to give an idea of bulb coloration as well.

jmick

I just switched out 2 XM 10k's and 1 Hamiton 14k with 3 Phoenix 14k bulbs and I really like the Phoenix so far!