Bulb for a M58 probe start ballast

flip_x

Hey everyone.. been looking at bulbs and i dont know what kind to get... right now i have some cheap 20k in there right now.. i wanted to try some reeflux or radiums but they say they dont work right with my type of ballast.. so any other ideas? i was thinking of xm..
thanks
Cedric

scsinet

The 250w SE lamps that will work with your ballast, are, to name a few:
XM
Coralife
Hamilton
Venture
SOME, but not all Coralvue
From that list, I'd pick the XM for 20K. The 15K XMs suck, so stay away from those.

flip_x

Is there anyway to see what kind of ballast it is.. doesnt say on the ballast.. i heard a m58 wont fire a ushio bulb and the one that i does fires it up and stays lit..
thanks

scsinet

M58 is an ANSI code. These codes are standardized codes that represent certain specifications, so an M58 ballast here is the exact same specs as an M58 ballast there.
M58 specifies a probe start 250w magnetic ballast. So you can only ignite probe start lamps. Probe start lamps have ignitors built into them to strike the arc in the lamp. Pulse start, on the other hand, rely on a high voltage kick from the ballast system to strike (hence, a "pulse" of current).
Probe start lamps will work on pulse start ballasts, but not the other way around. Since you have a probe start ballast, you can't use pulse start lamps with them.
Most halide lamps made by American manufacturers are probe start lamps, but most made overseas (mostly be German companies) are pulse start.
The way it was supposed to work is that ballasts manufacturers would put those ANSI codes on their ballasts, and lamp makers would put the ANSI codes of the ballast type they were designed for on their lamps. It never worked out that way, ballast makers do it but lamp makers either do not or make the info very hard to find, so you just have to kind of "know" how to match ballasts and bulbs.