bulb watts

nicole05

sorry guys i was at the local pet store that knows everything about pets ha ha didnt even know the answere for the question you guessed it i left without the bulbs i really dont think they were the right ones anyway!!!!!!!!!!

pfitz44

to get MH bulbs, yow will need to get a few things:
1) Ballast (sp)
2) Socket
3) Lights
IT is not a simple change of lights. You will need to rewire bulbs. Also, with MH, you will want to use PC for light when the MH is not on. What size tank do you have?

fraggle_a

Mh is just a term used to describe a bulb / tube that generates wavelengths of light.
(check this thread about wavelength and kelvin: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/204927/lighting )
You can use a 8000k light and then get either a 10000k or 18000k(better known as the 50/50) and run that at the same time. Corrals and anomones require wavelengths for photosynthisis. Some people blast their critters with really bright light, others will run a lamp that puts out a massive amount of 'blue' light.
Myself, I run a 'daylight' lamp and my 50/50. Technicaly, the 50/50 puts out more light than the daylight lamp. But the visible light we see makes the 50/50 look slightly dimmer.
Go to a web site that manufacturers lights for us fishy people and look at the sepcifications for the different lights. They all have different peaks and vallies in the wavelength output in their spectrum.

nicole05

i have a 55 gal could you be more specfic on how to do it i am going to nashville this weekend heard about a really good pet store there can purchase everything then

pfitz44

you can do two things. Buy a complete setup that has everything alreadt in it, or the pieces. Which one are you thinking of doing???
Heres some pics of what im talking about

Complete Setup, 1 purchase, plug in and mount

Bracket

Ballast

Light
For the last three, you will need some sort of knoledge of electricity and wiring.

fraggle_a

Well, myself I purchased a hood to fit my 36" tank. The lamp insid is 24" which is great!.
I then bought myself a cheap hood with the same 24" fitting in it.
Ill mount that new light housing on my existing 36" hood on the back side so I ahve 2 lamps running and it cost me under $70 to do it.
If your really new to lighting, electricity and customizing 'stuff' Id go look at a prebuilt hood to accomidate the lighting you need.

nicole05

well i guess i will be buying the wholr thing together a dumb with the electric stuff :phow much do they cost? how does it fit on my tank

pfitz44

with a 55 gallon, you will need a 48" light

This one is online for $829 Tha is for 2x175W MH lights. With the coralife, it should come with mounting brackets to hold it up. THe 2x250W is 945

fraggle_a

Before you buy. Measure your tank and make sure the hood / light fixture are the right length.
My tank is 36" by 12" so Id have to get something to fit those dimentions.
A lot of tanks are 'standard' dimentions so yuo will find something to fit your tank.
Just do a little research on the lights you need to be running, so your familiar with the lamps you need to buy and fit in the hood.....