bulk head=flow rate ?

cubsfan

Is there some where I can find how much a bulk head will flow?
I do know it also has to do with the pipe size. Just trying to do some research. thanks for any help

cubsfan

it will be a siphon at the bottom of tank, durso style. on a 224 gallon tank.
i read someones post that a 1" bulkhead will flow about 6-700 gph and 2 (1 1/2) will flow about 1800gph. does this sound correct?
I need about 2240 gph for a fowlr
Thanks

squidd

While it can be done...You may want to reconsider running all your flow thru sump...
More effecient to size flow to operate skimmer and fuge efectively...and flow at a rate the sump can handle without micro/bubble/surging/flooding "issues"...
The "rest" of the flow for the main tank can be made up with supplemental devices...closed loop, powerheads, Tunze, or wave makers....

cubsfan

That makes sense, thanks squidd.
do you think that 2 one inch drains will be enough for a 90 gall sump/fuge?
it will have a s.skimmer 220.
The rest I can set up in a closed loop.

squidd

More than likely....
2x1" will give 1200 to 1400 or so..
You want about 1 1/2 X skimmer pump rating for skimmer side turnover the rest to fuge...
Fuge will probably "box out" at 30 gallons or so ...
so a 500 gph skimmer gets 700-750 gph...rest to fuge...500-600 in a 30 is 17X to 20X turn over...
If you "need" a high turn over fuge... get a bigger return pump and "T" (divert) the additional flow back to fuge (for "tumble action")..
Rest of MT flow can be made up with supplemental devices...

cubsfan

let me make sure i got this then.
i will still need to return the 12-1400 gal coming from the main tank - correct?
Tank will be about 5 feet off ground. So i will need a mag 24 pump ( flow at 6' will be 1700 ) mag18 at only 1150. then put a t in to divert rest of flow back to fuge if needed. I know I will also lose some flow with elbows.
thanks again for your time.

squidd

Yep 24 or bigger depending on how fast you need the fuge to be...
(I think 20X is plenty)

bojik

On the bulkhead topic will a 1/2" bulkhead handle a =<150 gph gravity return ?
On the whole turn over rate (sorry to shanghai the thread a bit) does the turn over rate for the tank system need to be taking place in the DT or can a lot of it be in the sump/fuge system attached to it? That is one thing that has me a little unsure.