bulk head problem help please

ok got a 75 gallon canopy high stand wetand dry everything 50 bucks . here the problem i tightened the bigger bulk head so tight it won,t come loose but i must of cracked the pvc pipe in side . what can i do . i was thinking of getting a smaller pvc tube and silcone it in the bulk head. the dam bulkhead won,t come loose .i,am so angry i could punch a whole in the tank i sware .oh and i forgot to mention the tank is full wit my painter turtles should i just empty out the tank and do it over or can this be fixed any suggestions please sorry for the ranting

scsinet

Have you tried a wrench or pair of pliers to loosen the locknut?
Replacing the bulkhead is the only real option in this case. If it were me I wouldn't even be messing with bulkheads on a tank that has water in it, but not everyone is me...

scooter2

Some bulkhead fittings are reverse, left-handed threads-usually when the inside of the fitting is threaded. I hope that helps, but I agree that messing with a tank that has water in it is a bad idea.

i tried channel locks you name it i tried . the crazy thing it got it loose with the tank full then tightened it back up and noticed the pvc in bulkhead was leaking. i,ll just empty it out tomorrow and start all over it seems to me who ever had the tank before glue it . i was thinking of using epoxy to seal in another smaller pvc and make an adapter for my wet&dry tube . at this point iam about to get rid of the turtles and turn into a salt tank . way o nice of a tank to use for my turtles lol

scsinet

Cementing a new PVC tube inside the original may work, but it will significantly cut down the flow rate.
There is also the chance of it failing later, and believe me, fixing it now is a LOT easier than doing it once your tank is up and running.
You may need to just cut the bulkhead out. For this, I'd use a dremel tool, and a LOT of care. You don't want to hit the glass with the bit, because if the glass is tempered (it probably is), hit it the right way and it could shatter. Another means might be a pair of vice grips, a single edged razor blade, an a blowtorch. Turn the tank on it's side so you can get to the fitting. Grab the blade firmly with the vice grips, and heat the blade with the torch, then use it to melt your way through the fitting. Try to minimize the blades contact with the glass. Of course use adequate ventilation because it'll stink. Do not apply flame directly to the fitting or the tank, whatever you do.