Bulk live rock project log

thegrog

Originally posted by Andretti
Hey Grog, Andretti here. I hate to bear bad news but that quickrete stuff is bad to use for two reasons; first, it begins to flake off after a few months in saltwater; second, it leaches excess sodium carbonates and bi-carbonates which will raise you pH. It happened to me and I've read a few other threads in which it happened to others as well.
:mad: On the other hand, your stuff looks great!

I was under the impression that Quickrete is just a brand name. I used Portland Type I cement. Does brand really make that much of a difference with Portland Type I cement? :notsure: :notsure:

jlem

Originally posted by Andretti
it leaches excess sodium carbonates and bi-carbonates which will raise you pH.

If the rock is cured for long enough them the majority of leaching will be done prior to going into the tank. A test kit will make sure. A little bit of leaching will just help maintain a good PH.

A

andretti

Yeah, even though it is a brand name, it sets-up faster...hence the name "quick." And the quicker concrete hardens, the less strenght it has. I really didn't have a problem W/pH because I only put in a few at a time after they were cured. I did however, have a problem W/flaking. It got so bad that small pieces were faaling off into my corals and sponges.
Needless to say, those babies got pulled at the blink of an eye. Maybe I just had bad luck or something:notsure: I read on a web site that if you do use quickcrete, you should cure it in saltwater for another two weeks and this will help/prevent flaking. Go to Google and type "diy live rock." Read a few of the sites until you find info about quickcrete.
Hopefully I am wrong and my mix was just the wrong ratios, because you've got some cool designs.

shiby1510

im also using quikcrete.... that was the only portland i could find!! could someone plz clarify this whole dilemma for us plz! :help:
:confused:

mpls man

Originally posted by TheGrog
This is the sand that I found at Walmart for $3 a bag. Got a total of 3 bags (only needed 2 for the first batch).

Grog, would you be able to use this sand for the base, after curing it, if so how do you go about curing it?

thegrog

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
Grog, would you be able to use this sand for the base, after curing it, if so how do you go about curing it?
Not sure. I would have to look into that one. I remember something about a test with vinegar, but it has been a very long day of work and my brain is fried.
As for curing it, you really would not have to. Pour and go. You may want to rinse it first with fresh water (helps prevent cloudy water)
As far as the issue with the Quickrete, I will definately keep everyone posted on how it goes. Sounds from the mentioned experience (from what knowledge I have) that the ratio was off. Time will tell.

9lives

For making your base rock you want to use plain Portland cement and not a ready mix product.
Ready mix already has sand added to it(silica base),portland cement has no sand added.
It still needs to be cured in fresh water .
regular sand can be used for the molds but you don't want to use it in you tank as the substrate(again,silica base-algae problems)
Aragonite sand is alot more expensive unless you can find Yardright Tropical or Southdown Tropical playsand in you local hardware stores.
Fresh water cure for 4-8 weeks until you can test ph under 7.5 for several days,then short saltwater cure before seeding.

teresaq1

my dyi rocks i have been making for my 150. i have made about 30-50 lbs. Right now its just sitting in my driveway, will start curing it in about 6 mo. Not setting my new tank up until my new house is built.

fish_nooob

Theres another great website called garf.org that has DIY live rock, step by step instructions as well on building beautiful archways. Check it out sometime, even shows DIY wood tanks. great DIY site, good lokin rocks btw.

cl0wnfish

This should settle things.

The Quikrete cement, Portland type I is just normal portland-type cement. No added sand, gravel, or silicates (any more than other portland-type cements).
Here is the webpage for Quickrete's Portland product:
http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/PortlandCement.html
This should be the right ingredient to use in home-made base rock. If it gets crumbly it probably was an improper mix ratio or was not cured long enough.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Any change that the participants of this topic can reinstate the lost pictures so we can archive?