BulkHead Horror Story

broncofish

I moved my 90g tank about 12' from one wall to the next in my living room(sunlight problem) Came home yesterday to a puddle of water, my bulkhead had loosened in the move. I tightened it back up, but there must have been some sand in between the seal and the glass. So I was going to take it out, but the nut won't come off(must be sand in the threads also:mad: ) I tried to use a set of plumbers wrenches to get it off, and no luck. I think I am going to have to empty my system, turn the tank on it's side and use a dremmel to cut it out.:mad:

broncofish

Oh yeah it sucks bad, I've tried everything, but I don't want to try cutting it out wi th all the water and everything still in place just in case I break the glass:eek:

nyreef

Actually there has got to be another way to doit...If not this is always a great time to go bigger...

broncofish

I tried with metal sheers. And My plan right now is, set up a meen 30g reef. Then When I get my 90 put a couple dwarf lions, and a valenti puffer.

overanalyzer

Bonco - just don't try to give it one more try with tightening - I'd hate to see you over tighten or slip and bust the nut or the tank ....
Also - you are not allowed to pass this story on to my wife!!!

slick

You should be able to cut the nut off without tearing down the tank. Just cut through it on opposite sides. Then just pull it off.

broncofish

No I have no moving bigger plans, plus my wife and I called it quits, so I can go as big as I want hehehe, but I plan on moving to Kansas with in the next couple of years so I want to stay with what I got. The reason I can't cut it from the bottom is....The general fear of a slip of the tin snips and smack crack boom, there goes my glass. Besides there are a couple scrapes on the inside I wanted to buff out anyway.

slick

The bottom of your tank should be tempered glass. A slip of tin snips should not damage the bottom. If your really worried about it use a dremel or something.

newfishliny

STOP ! THE ACTION NOW !
JUST HEAT UP A BLADE ON A UTILITY KNIFE , AND SLOWLY CUT THRU , IT WILL MELT THRU THE NUT ! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO HEAT IT UP SEVERAL TIMES . EVEN A TIP FROM A SOLDERING IRON SHOULD DO IT , JUST PUT A DAMP RAG UP AGAINEST THE TANK SO THE HEAT WILL NOT EFFECT THE TANK.
IT WILL WORK
GOOD LUCK, LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKED
NEW FISH LINY

broncofish

OK some good news. I have moved everything(well almost everything) Into my 29g. Good thing I was just getting the 90g going or this would have been a mess. So far no losses, but I do have a missing scooter blennie:( I'll post some pics of it soon. Also got a better look at the bulkhead. Looks like a plastic bur is in the threads???? That thing was not coming off. I'll dremel it out, and then Voila 90g aggressive with a valenti puffe, and a fuzzy dwarf lion;) Guess I will try to make the best of it.

broncofish

I think it has a little to do with age, and the fact they were origanly designed for electric wires to run through, not to handle the stress of water. Hey patrcik can you do me a favor send me that design at my home address (bripoco@earthlink.net) I am taking a couple of days off work and I forgot to forward it home.

overanalyzer

well bronco nice to see you have foolishly posted enough to get your user CP to the point where you could pick any name - who in the hell is that by the way??
nice pick for your avitar though!!

broncofish

Bro If you don't know who DR Julius T strangepork is I ain't going to tell you(C'mon man we grew up in the same house). Here is a hint though, his favorite movie is Pigs In Space:D

overanalyzer

sorry wife hates the muppets and the girls have never seen it .... the only three I remember are faazie bear, animal and the swedish chef ...dodododod