bumps on powder blue help please

binns239

been in tank almost a week have been feeding him garlic with brines, because they are ich prone and now im seeing little bumps on him. any inputs or anything i should do

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Need more info about what you are seeing, or post good digital pictures. If you need help IDing, taking a look at the Diseased Fish topic, top of this forum.

binns239

it would be to hard to get a pic. but he is acting healthy and eating good. but there is no spots or signs of ich. just little raised bumps about 4 to 5 on each side. you almost cant see them until you look down his side with the light.

2quills

It could still be ich, keep a close eye on it, the spots may increase pretty soon. Get it into quarantine asap. Do you have any other fish in the tank?

btldreef

Originally Posted by binns239
http:///forum/post/3288030
been in tank almost a week have been feeding him garlic with brines, because they are ich prone and now im seeing little bumps on him. any inputs or anything i should do
Garlic and brine shrimp isn't going to cut it with a tang. They MUST have algae/seaweed in their diet. You should be providing an algae sheet for it daily. IMO, brine shrimp is garbage, it's like feeding a kid nothing but candy. Get them on mysis, preferably PE Mysis, especially if you're questioning the health of this fish.
Does sound like ich, did you QT it?

kristissanders

I always put garlic and vita-chem in the food I prepare. Soak algae sheets in a measuring cup with a little tank water and garlic, also. It may be ich, but raised bumps on my blue hippo happen from time to time (had her 3 yrs) and it occurs after I have made a big water change, etc. I have had others tell me they do that when stressed, and it's not really ich...I have decided they may be right, but you never know with tangs.

btldreef

Yes, it could just be stress, again, very hard to tell without a picture. Tangs get stressed easily, and here's the issue with that: If it does have ich (even a minor case) and gets stressed, than you can have an issue.
It's fine to use garlic and vita-chem, but BRINE is the issue. Brine should be used sparingly, and shouldn't be their main diet, especially when stressed, that's all I'm saying. Mysis is a MUCH BETTER option. I hope that it is just stress and it will calm down and be fine, but as with any fish, especially a tang, you really should be quarantining them.
These raised bumps that you see from time to time on your other fish may also be ich. They may be healthy enough to fight it off for the most part, but then when stressed, as a large water change can do, then the ich temporarily is visible again. This also isn't good....

R

rcreations

This is weird but I had a powder blue who got the same problem you describe and it turned out it was the garlic. Try to eliminate the garlic for a few days and see if it helps.

binns239

yes he was qt and ill elimitate the brines and get sheets, they seem to have gone away today so hopefully all it was stress. because ich is no fun and dont wanna go thru that again

sepulatian

You can't post pics? I am really not comfortable that this was just stress. Can you describe the bumps in more detail?

binns239

he wont sit still an i can barely seem them to eye i doubt they would show on a pic. but there is no signs of ich, no spots or discolor on him there just little raised bumps like the size of a pen tip.

mmgayle

I think I am experiencing the same problem with raised bumps on my Powder Blue Tang.
It looks like when someone has a heat rash, or poison ivy.
It does not have the classic salt grain look like ick.
See attached PIC
Hope someone can recommend a cure, because I certainly would not want to treat a 300 gal tank for any sort of disease.
Thanks,
Mike

mmgayle

Looks like hospital time for this one. My Yellow Tang seem to have it as well, but not as pronounced.
This certainly looks different from the usual salt looking ich.
Thanks
Mike

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All the fish in that tank will need to be treated for ich. What is your plan?

mmgayle

I removed all four Tangs (powder Blue, Unicorn, Yellow, and Kole). Placed them in a quarantine tank, and treated with Seachem Cupramine.
Unfortunately, 16 hours later the Powder Blue, and Kole tangs both died. They exhibited physical signs of Ich.
The Yellow, and Unicorn Tang survived.
I discontinued use of the product, and both Yellow, and Unicorn are now in my sump.
In addition, I did a 50% water change (Sunday, 22nd).
Start using my UV sterilizer again.
All the other fishes in the tank seem to be fine, and exhibiting no signs of ich.
I am a little hesitant about treating the entire tank for the following reason.
It's primarily a fish only tank, but I have live rocks with few pieces of corals.
Not sure what effect the ich treatment may have on my refugium which is now fully cycled, and beginning to show some benefit in controlling Nitrates, and Nitrites levels.
Looking forward to your recommendations.
Thanks,
Mike