Bumpy Clown Goby

deltablack22

This little clown goby is the only guy in my frag tank other than 6 nassarius snails and an astrea. He looked fine when I bought him about a week ago but ever since then he's had these bumpy/knobby/zit looking things all over him. They seem to be in different places every other day and I say "zit" because they are yellow and appear to be growths not on, but under the skin surface.
I dont know how well you will be able to see them in this picture, but I thought I would give it a shot. I have no idea what it could be, and havent seen anything like it on the disease pics thread... He isnt breathing / acting / eating abnormally so any help would be greatly appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can't tell much with that picture. Perhaps he is getting stung somehow from the frags? How is he eating and behaving?

deltablack22

Woops, didnt mean to double post... Computer froze up and got weird on me when I hit submit. I took some better pics but the bumps look pretty white in the picture but not in person. He isnt getting stung (the tank only has zoas and mushrooms in it right now) and he's acting normal. Hope these pics help...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking lymphocyctis. Take a look a the pictures in the Diseased Fish Thread. There is also info on this in the FAQ Thread.

deltablack22

Thats funny, I had another fish with lymphocyctis in my display tank. I didnt do anything about it because I read your thread on it and I remember it being a diet issue. That fish was a new addition when it was diagnosed and after a few weeks in my tank it went away. Hmm, hopefully this little guy will have the same result.
You dont think it could be ich at all do ya Beth? It looks too irregular to be ich to me but I'm no expert. Thanks for taking a look at the little guy...

A

awakened2life

I though my clown goby had ich all over him, then the next day(today 7/26/2007) he looks just like yours!
I just bought five days ago.
How's yours doing? I hope they pull through.

deltablack22

I dont know where its at... He pulled a disappearing act. He's not stuck to the filter intake, not on the carpet, theres no LR for him to hide in and I dont have a large enough CUC that could've disposed of him this fast.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by AwAkeNeD2LifE
I though my clown goby had ich all over him, then the next day(today 7/26/2007) he looks just like yours!
I just bought five days ago.
How's yours doing? I hope they pull through.
Please start a new thread and tell us your situation if you get concerned. We will be happy to help

deltablack22

Originally Posted by sepulatian
The tank is bare? Do you have pets?
Its a frag tank with a couple small pieces of LR and a frag rack. What do you mean "Do you have pets?"

deltablack22

Oh oh oh... My bad. You must mean a cat or dog that could've eaten him after he jumped out or something. No, I dont...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Oh oh oh... My bad. You must mean a cat or dog that could've eaten him after he jumped out or something. No, I dont...

Yes, that is what I was asking. He has to be in there somewhere then. Have you looked all over?

sepulatian

Yup...
How about hiding under the frags. He is little. He could hide anywhere. Fish don't just vanish. He has to be there somewhere. If you have no other pets then you would see him if he jumped. Dead or alive, he has to be in there somewhere.

deltablack22

I know he's somewhere but who knows exactly where. Theres no way in that tank that he could hide if he wanted to. Maybe he kicked the bucket and the nassarius snails got to him... I would still expect to see some skeletal remains lying on the sand bed.

sepulatian

I know he's somewhere but who knows exactly where. Theres no way in that tank that he could hide if he wanted to. Maybe he kicked the bucket and the nassarius snails got to him... I would still expect to see some skeletal remains lying on the sand bed.
If he didn't jump and he did in fact die you would not find remains. The snails would take care of it.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by sepulatian
If he didn't jump and he did in fact die you would not find remains. The snails would take care of it.
I would think in a tank this bare with so few inhabitants I would, but I dont so your probably right... I guess the snails got him.

deltablack22

I ended up finding the clown goby sucked up tight (dead) behind the filter intake. He was so small that he was barely visible, it just took really close inspection.
Well, I decided to try a sixline in that tank thinking it was lympho... It was ich. Sixlines dead too....