Burgandy-purplish algae...

lietz06

...is that okay? It seems to be taking over my tank. It started growing just where I had layed the live sand but now it's everywhere. Should I be worried or is it supposed to happen?

nwdyr

dont worry that is a good thing ,if its too much and you don't like it , just scrape it off with a razor blade.

anonome

A picture is worth a thousand words.............
I have red/burgundy coralline, but, if I were to discribe it someone would think it was slime algae. Please post a picture if possible.

lietz06

Alright-I'll post a picture when I get back to New Mexico-I'm in Ohio visiting right now-but I'll be home on Sunday. It's soft-mushy stuff that kinda falls apart when you try to grab it. At first I thought it seemed like a good thing-but the people that are taking care of my tank say it's taking over and floating everywhere in there. But yeah-it's soft, slimy like stuff. If it's that cytoblabla is there a quick fix?
To answer the light question the lights are on around 11-12 hours a day. I don't really know the flow though. Thanks for all the replies!

aztec reef

Its cyano.. Which indicates your lack in water flow, accumulation of nutrients and lack of regular waterchanges. All of this cyano amplifieds by long periods of light & if poor conditions dont improve..

lietz06

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2724306
Its cyano.. Which indicates your lack in water flow, accumulation of nutrients and lack of regular waterchanges. All of this cyano amplifieds by long periods of light & if poor conditions dont improve..
You may be right-I'm sure you know what you're talking about more than me. But I have 2 powerheads in the 55 I thought that would be plenty of water movment. I haven't done a water change yet because my tank was just put up with fish about a month ago-LFS told me to wait on the waterchange so the beneficial bacteria keep growing. Should I cut my light time down? How long are lights normally left on? Ne help would be greatly appreciated! How to get rid of the icky stuff?

atrialfib22

I would say cut down on your lighting to about 5-6 hours for now...normally 8 hrs or so is plenty.
As far as your water change...your LFS advice is a little misguided. The benefitial bacteria that colonizes your tank will grow and thrive in the surfaces found within your tank i.e. your live rock, live sand, powerheads, etc. The water itself contains a miniscule percentage of the bacteria that you want in there, therefore routine maintenance water changes will not affect anything negatively.
To get rid of the cyanobacteria you can siphon it out (using tubing, gravel vac or even a turkey baster). In addition to cutting back on your lighting you should make sure you are not overfeeding.
As far as the flow...the water movement within your tank can still be inadequate with 2 powerheads, it all depends on the gph rating of your poweheads (how much water they actually push) and also how you have positioned them in relation to the rock landscaping and overall setup of your tank. Avoid dead spots and you will see a big decrease in algae growth.
Good luck!