Busted Jbj 24 Dx Pic

dragonboy

I've seen those nano tanks and I would say they aren't made that stable and they over price I can get a regular glass rectangler tank for a lot less and not have any problems with leaks. Sorry to hear about the loss hopefully this won happen again the next time around.

S

shark bait

I know this post is old but I recived the new "2006" 24g in november, and just set it up. I am 1 week in to it and well I pray every day when I walk in the room. But I would like to know if ANYONE has had any issues with the 2006. And I mean from people who had a crack from a real 2006 with the born on date on the back!! Please let me know.

aw2eod

Sorry for your loss...that sucks!
I will say this though...
I bought the original JBJ 12 gal, when they first came out.
It's been set up ever since, moving between 3 houses with me and I've never once had a problem with it. I know dozens of people who have also not had bad luck with them.

maxalmon

So sorry for what happened.........I was just about to organize a group buy for my local reefclub and we were going to buy 12 of the 24g tanks, I may need to rethink this.... Is this the same cube design that had the recall because of the powercord issue and was electrocuting people

stanlalee

they supposedly fixed whatever issue they had with breaking. Havent seen anything posted about problems with newer models.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by maxalmon
So sorry for what happened.........I was just about to organize a group buy for my local reefclub and we were going to buy 12 of the 24g tanks, I may need to rethink this.... Is this the same cube design that had the recall because of the powercord issue and was electrocuting people
The electrocuting aquarium was the Aquapod.

bonebrake

The new 2006 models are supposedly better.
I have a 2005 model and mine has a ten inch hairline crack running down the left corner of the tank. It grew very quickly when I set it up over six months ago and JBJ would not replace it. It has yet to leak or grow any larger since it has reached its current size. I hope it never explodes on me.
With the run around they gave me I will never buy any of their products again.

maxalmon

I would take the tank down, I would think it's a time bomb waiting to explode. Why take the chance. :notsure:

bonebrake

There is a gentleman on another forum who has had a hairline crack in his cube for over a year without any further growth and his has yet to explode. However, I do agree with you, I will likely upgrade in the new future to be on the safe side.

L

lbaskball

BONEBREAK,
Before you noticed the crack, did water start leakign from that top left corner? Because if I fill up the water to where the plastic starts at the top, the water will leak, I am guessing it is not sealed perfectly around the corner because that is where it is leaking. I dont see any cracks with mine and also according to this guys picture, his crack was also from the left top. I hope mine wont crack, if i lower my water level it doesnt leak, only if i go all the way to the top where the plastic is that is holding the glass. I have the 2005 model with the serial number, what about you?

bonebrake

Mine is a 2005 with serial number as well.
I have filled mine up past the brim where the props rest to hold the hood up and no leaks yet.
I used to be very nervous and upset about it. I would even dream that it broke in the middle of the night and run out in the living room to check. It was ridiculous. I blew all this money I had been saving for over a year to get my first aquarium and getting it setup and stocked and then this crack grew like an inch every time I checked it and JBJ would not give me the time of day. It was very frustating.
Things have been stable now for the past five months. I hope it stays that way.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Mine is a 2005 with serial number as well.
I have filled mine up past the brim where the props rest to hold the hood up and no leaks yet.
I used to be very nervous and upset about it. I would even dream that it broke in the middle of the night and run out in the living room to check. It was ridiculous. I blew all this money I had been saving for over a year to get my first aquarium and getting it setup and stocked and then this crack grew like an inch every time I checked it and JBJ would not give me the time of day. It was very frustating.
Things have been stable now for the past five months. I hope it stays that way.

lol...geez, glad ur not paranoid with a crack. I dont see any cracks but if i fill it up to where you fill up yours, water starts leaking from the top. The only guess I can take is that where it bends, the plastic doenst seal all the way tight. SO the water will drip down from the top straight to the bottom on the corner.

bonebrake

Sounds like your problem is not that big of a deal. Next time you do a water change you could drop the water level a little lower than normal and epoxy the inside of your trim to seal it completely if you wanted to.

S

shark bait

I was just remembering what I lost in this tank, but that my salfin blemy lived through all of that. I would say of all the fish i've had these little guys are truly tanks.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by shark bait
I was just remembering what I lost in this tank, but that my salfin blemy lived through all of that. I would say of all the fish i've had these little guys are truly tanks.
Not to high jack the thread, but two shark baits? Oh this should be fun

S

shark bait

As i have been reading more nano threads I see how hot the tanks run. I have taken a ice probe and cut away the middle of the hood between the fans and the probe drops in and fits in to the second chamber. i filled it with more media as to raise the water level as to get better contact. With out the temp control it stays at 75 as my room is between 72-78. I have checked it after 2 days of no air in a closed room in So Cal when its 90 out and I was at 75.8, then after a full day of ac set at 70 it got to 74.8. this is with out the temp control with the temp control and a small heater in the third chamber I can keep it at a cool 76.5. And I am only doing a FOWLR tank, not in the mood to come home to a cracked reef tank twice!! I can take pics if needed.