Busted tank!

shorddpimp

Yep, that's right, busted tank. The lfs said there was a manufacturers defect in my tank that caused it to bust under the pressure of the water. The problem is that is busted over night when I was in bed and I didn't hear it. Luckily I found it before it drained completely and was able to save everything but one of my chromis' and a claw from one of my coral banded shrimp. My question is twofold. First of all, I had to do a complete water change to fill the new aquarium because I wasn't able to save any of the water from the old tank, will this mean that I will have to cycle the tank again? The reason I'm asking is because I have a fishers pygmy angel and a tomato clown. They are doing very well right now and don't even seem stressed. All of my fish are eating very well right now so this is good, but what are the chances of my nitrates or nitrites shooting way up overnight? Also, will the claw on the coral banded shrimp grow back?
Thanx
Christopher
P.S. I never did find all the water!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Anytime you setup a new tank, you will have to cycle. And, yes, ammonia~>nitrite~>nitrate cycle will happen, and it will shoot before you know what hits you. Keep a constant eye...taking water reading every day, at least. Were you able to save any of the gravel from the old tank? If so, the cycle process will be improved as the "seeded" gravel / sand will get the biological system of the new setup a head start. Good luck!

kris

What about your filters, are they ok?? Just hook them up to the new one, all the media should still be the same, and that's the main part of the cycling proccess. Keep an eye on them but I bet you'll do just fine. Good Luck. (hey thats a good excuse to go buy a bigger and better tank)

shorddpimp

Well, all my fish are doing just fine. With the exception of one. My tomatoe clown appears to have ick! All my other fish are fine though. I have a cleaner shrimp in there but the clown doesn't go near it. The clown has started rubbing himself against rocks and stuff. Is it too late for him?? Should I get him out before my other fish are infected? The cleaner is picking at my angel quite frequently though, so he is doing his job at least on someone. I'm worried that my entire tank will become polluted because of him though.
Christopher

dave

everyone answered your first question but not your second! I have a coral banded that lost BOTH claws! That was about three weeks ago, and about a week or so later, he had them back!?!?! Don't get it but I guess he did! LOL!! see what happens and post it so I can find out if this is unusual or not! Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, crabs that lose there claws usually grow them back. That how come sometimes you might see a crab with one claw bigger than the other.