Butterfly fish

fishy411

ok i just got a new 55 and am currently running it as a fw tank. I am planning on buying a skimmer off a friend and making my own sump which i hopw he will help me with. I am trying to think of what i will put in it. So far i have a dwarf or Antennata lionfish. I was thinking about a threadfinned or Auriga butterflyfish ( both names are the same species). It only gets to 6" The only concern i have would be feeding. I know it can eat algae based foods. Do they sell algtae sheets? It says that i can supplement with broccoli and stuff so i would feed 2-3 times a week with algae stuffs and about 1-2 times a week with broccoli or other vegetables. Would this diet workj and mor eimportantly this tank setup. If not the butterfly fish what a bout a sixline wrasse. I know the lion would get bigger but would it even be able to catch it?

nicetry

Actually, this species can top out at close to 8 or 9 inches, and would be cramped in a 55. BF's also do not often do well in young tanks and are best left to experienced hobbyists with mature systems. They are quite sensitive to water quality issues. Meaty foods are really best for these fish with occassional use of greens. You can purchase sheet algae (nori) at Asian markets or most well stocked lfs. A couple times a week will suffice but a good mix of mysis, blood worms, plankton, chopped clam, mussel, etc, will satisfy them. A six line would be vulnerable, IMO. You might be better off with one of the larger fairy wrasses, or even a maroon clown or hamlet.

fishy411

yeah i was thinking of a fairy wrasse but price is a huge issue for me. Would a Anthias be ok if kept alone? I am saving a maroon clown for my last resort. also is there a smaller bf species. I looked this species up and it said it would top out a 6" so i must have been misinformed.

reefeel

The Auriga Butterfly's along with the Bannerfish Butterflies are the easiest of the butterfy's. Many people think that these fish adapt very well to aquarium fluctuations and life. Yes you can buy algae strips, many people don't suggest using any sort of land based food on fish because it is not the same as algae-this ma vary from fish species. I would stay away from anthias they can be very picky on water quality.

reefeel

Here are some butterfly species
-Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish 10" easiest of the BF
-Racoon Butterlfyfish 8" another easier one
-Auriga Butterflyfish 8" another easier one
These are the easiest most common bfs.

nicetry

Originally posted by reefeel
Here are some butterfly species
-Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish 10" easiest of the BF
-Racoon Butterlfyfish 8" another easier one
-Auriga Butterflyfish 8" another easier one
These are the easiest most common bfs.

Actually, any of the above species can be quite touchy. Hardy/easy is a relative term with these fish, and even the so called "easy" ones are prone to the same problems as the less popular species, including refusal to eat, bacterial infections, etc. I've seen many raccoons and aurigas fail soon after importation.
If you want hardy butterflies, look at the Tinkers, Mitratus, Declevis and Burgess. You won't find one for under $200.00 but they will stand with the best of them.

fishy411

so an Auriga butterfly wont be ok in a 55?i just found a bf that tops out at 5" i think. It is a dot dash bf. The scientific name is Chaetodon punctatofasciatus. Would this work. Also is there any way that an Auriga can be kept in a 55 if i maintain the right water levels and keep it clean or is the tank just not big enough?
the declivis and tinkerii caught my eye but again the price was way too much especieally as this will be my first sw tank and if it dies i think i might die after seeing 200$ down the drain

nicetry

It's kind of like the tang in a 55. Not to say you couldn't keep one but as an adult specimen it would need more room. Butterflies are fairly active and the larger ones shouldn't be cramped. If you buy a smaller one an let it grow out, you're okay but an upgrade should be in your plans. I'd stick with a smaller species my self in that sized tank, and again, wait until the tank is well established.

fishy411

well i just need to know if a dot-dash bf will outgrow a tank because i thought that an auriga only grew to 5" and it says the same thing about this one.