Butterfly in a reef?

gcgrad

I understand that butterfly fish in general are not considered reef safe. With that said I have read that the Orange Butterflyfish (Sunburst) is listed as reef with caution. Is this the most reef friendly butterfly out there? Just curious!

tangs rule

The only butterfly fish I've maintained in a reef (more than once) is the longnose butterfly - Forcipiger longirostris or F. flavissimus - both of which will likely ignore all corals/inverts/clam mantles - if kept fed well/large enough tank to supply some natural food (pods/scuds). Established tank.....I'd suggest either for a reef.
The copperband butterfly is also reportedly pretty reef safe. However most of the rest of the family are coral/zoanthid/anemone/mushroom eaters and cannot be trusted in the home reef environment. And sadly some of the most striking and pretty butterfly fishes are also the most destructive to a home reef - and hard to keep longterm. I've no exp. with the species mentioned - but the butterfly family contains the most reef destructive fishes known, aside from some parrot fishes. Many butterflies dine on sps or lps exclusively.