butterfly only tank

elguapo

I'm thinking of starting a butterfly only tank in the near future. Not sure what the mix is going to be. Was wondering if any of you have experience with something like this? If so what species did you use, numbers per species and what size tank.
-gabe

aquatics24

do you want several butterflies or a school of butterflies? Also know that most butterflies are not reef safe and will eat your expensive corals

dogstar

IMO, many of the Butterfly species can be kept in schools and mixed species too. Of course tank size depends on which ones and how many and health of tank and fish and feeding them is sometimes not so easy with many of them...best to research the specific ones you wish to try and go from there....would really look nice because BFs are some of the nicest looking fish....

elguapo

Its going to be a fowlr probably. Not sure what size but its going to be filtered very well. I'm looking for advice from people that have some experience with BFs. I know the basics with Copperbands, Long-noses, and heniochus. I'm looking to have a couple pairs and maybe a couple other random colorful species. I would love a pair of Goleden BF's but it looks like they are hard to find right now. So far I'm thinking 2 Goldens, 2-3 heniochus, and a threadfin. Maybe a dwarf angel thrown in for some more color.

xdave

When you say you know the basics with Copperbands, Long-noses, and Heniochus, do you mean you've successfully kept all these? The tank you are proposing would be hard even for a Butterfly expert.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by aquatics24
do you want several butterflies or a school of butterflies? Also know that most butterflies are not reef safe and will eat your expensive corals
Then would the trick be to keep the BFF supplied with corals? (that is a seriously curious question, BTW)

elguapo

i mean that i have kept butterflys in the past with success in a mixes species tank. there will be no coral or inverts(other than a clean up crew) so nipping wont be a problem

aquatics24

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Then would the trick be to keep the BFF supplied with corals? (that is a seriously curious question, BTW)
i read your question three times and i dont understand. sorry.

teen

Originally Posted by aquatics24
i read your question three times and i dont understand. sorry.
shes asking if you should add corals to the tank for the butterflies to eat/ pick on. i think.

teen

same reason why some people spend money on live fish for there agrressive fish to eat?

poniegirl

Originally Posted by teen
shes asking if you should add corals to the tank for the butterflies to eat/ pick on. i think.
That is exactly what I meant. Devil's advocate (but just for a moment, then..)
If you have a 125 full of yummy corals, could a butterfly eat them as fast as they propogate? Is that an inhumane question and thought?
Is that how they survive in some tanks?
Just a question, in no way reflects what I think should happen.

aquatics24

The butterflies would eat the corals faster than they could grow..you could give them a mix of diet though...some pellets/flake/ and also let them eat corals...IMO i wouldnt spend that much of corals to let them eat...yes some people buy live food, such as feeder shrimp, this you could buy 100 shrimp for 20-30 bucks...as far as live food (fish) you would buy a goby, but this is a one or two time thing usually to get the fish, ie lionfish, to start eating again...you really dont want to feed your lionfish live fish all the time, because then he will get use to eating fish, and perhaps some of your display...IMO it is not an inhumane way of feeding a fish, because that is nature, but like i said I wouldnt want to spend hundreds of dollars on corals for the butterflies to eat, and even then not have enough food...UNLESS you do the "blender" trick on mushrooms and have them eat a bunch of mushrooms...other than that, i cant really help you out much more...

teen

i dont think the butterflies would even take on the corals as a main food source, its more of that they just pick at them. they would however eat featherdusters and other assorted worms that are in your tank as long as they were available.

elguapo

It very much depends on the species as sometimes heniochus, and copperbands can be kept in reef settings. They will however nip at corals from time to time. Other more agressive spiecies will go after corals until nothing is left. In general most of them will go after featherdust right away and some have had mixed success with shrimp. That however doesn't mean all that much because I saw a full predator tank that housed a clown trigger along with shrimp without a problem.....The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone has done this and has any specific advice. It doesn't look like anyone is going to be of much help.
g

aquatics24

Originally Posted by elGUAPO
It very much depends on the species as sometimes heniochus, and copperbands can be kept in reef settings. They will however nip at corals from time to time. Other more agressive spiecies will go after corals until nothing is left. In general most of them will go after featherdust right away and some have had mixed success with shrimp. That however doesn't mean all that much because I saw a full predator tank that housed a clown trigger along with shrimp without a problem.....
g
exactly

teen

The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone has done this and has any specific advice. It doesn't look like anyone is going to be of much help.
g
you dont have to be a douche bag about it

elguapo

Originally Posted by teen
you dont have to be a douche bag about it

yea thats pretty much the reason im done with this board. too many high school punks and too little actually advice and knowledge.

poniegirl

yea thats pretty much the reason im done with this board. too many high school punks and too little actually advice and knowledge.
Please don't leave the board. Discussion is a great thing.
Through the discussion you have learned that no one who has been on the forum for 4 days has any real experience with what you want to do.
But the ideas are not a waste.
Please ignore the language of the few.

fish911

My Lfs Has A Copperband In There Reef Tank ( The One They Sell Corals From) .. And He Is Fine With Everything
Ppl Also Say A Yellow Tang And Dwarf Angels Are Fine ...
Wasnt The Case For Me ... So Treat Everything Just As A Guideline