Butterfly question

jarodw45

What is the hardiest or easiest buterflyfish? I am intrested but have never kept a buterfly well I did try a copperband years ago when I first got into SW but it was not a good starter fish. Just wandering what your opinions were.

conejo

I Believe A Racoon Will Do Very Good If You Like Them. Ive Had Mine Since I Started S.w. And Hes Doing Great. He Will Chase Other Butterflys And May Cause A Bacterial Infection And Get Killed By It. But Will Chase Only Butterflys. They Get Big...up To 20 Cm So Your Tank Should Be At Least 80 G's. Nothing Else To Worry About.

nicetry

Of the "keepable" butterflies, there are a few you could consider. While not the flashiest, the Kleins is a very sturdy fish. Doesn't get too big and has some nice subtle colors. Relatively peaceful too.
Racoons are okay, but they can be pushy. I have a blackback going on 6 years. Lovely fish with a good disposition and a nice all around pick for a butterfly.
If you have some money to spend, look at some of the members from the sub genus Roa; Tinkers, Burgess, Declivis or Mitratus. Probably some of the hardiest bf's available but pricey.
If the tank is large enough, well established with consistantly good parameters, has a lot of live rock and no overly aggressive tankmates, you should be able to maintain a bf.
edit; if your profile is correct and you have a 55 with a yellow tang, I wouldn't add a butterfly. The tank size is marginal for one but moreoever I think the tang would punish a newly added bf, and they don't handle abuse/stress well.

get a threadfin or racoon butterfly they are very active and hardy fish ! a friend of mine has kept a racoon for 3 years + in a 75 gallon and still going strong...
i have had my threadfin for about 2 weeks or so and he's eating everything i put in the tank and he is a pig ! very active and beautiful fish ! was shy at first now he doesn't care if im at the tank or anyone else lol.

jarodw45

Ok well I will look into some of these that you have mentioned. While I dont have a tank that I would add one to at the moment I always am looking. I like to research fish BEFORE i buy them so that I can be surtain that I can care for them when I get them and not after I have them try to scramble and figure out their needs at that time. I will research some of these further, thanks for your time.