Butterfly tank mate

js1976

I know corals and anemones are not safe with butterfly fish, but how about other inverts? Such as shrimp, crabs, and stars?

js1976

I don't have one yet, but would like to add some to a build that Im planning. I don't know much about them though. Was looking at Auriga, Racoon, and Heniochos.
Can you add two different species if added at the same time?

jp30338

Those are good hardy choices. If you were to add two of them, do it at the same time. You will also want to add either the Threadfin and Heni or the Racoon and the Heni, but beware that Racoon's tend to be quite aggressive, while the heni is very passive. The heni will also do MUCH better if paired with another heni.
As for inverts they would be safe with the Heni and Threadfin, I would be a bit hesitant with inverts and a large racoon.

js1976

Thanks for the info JP. I like the butterfly in that pic as well! In fact, I don't think there are very many butterflys that are not good looking fish.
If there were two heni's would that cause them to bully any other butterfly that may be added at the same time? The tank size will either be a 150 or a 180 if that helps. Tankmates will include a tang or two, some smaller community fish, and some inverts if possible.

jp30338

Originally Posted by js1976
http:///forum/post/3060984
Thanks for the info JP. I like the butterfly in that pic as well! In fact, I don't think there are very many butterflys that are not good looking fish.
If there were two heni's would that cause them to bully any other butterfly that may be added at the same time? The tank size will either be a 150 or a 180 if that helps. Tankmates will include a tang or two, some smaller community fish, and some inverts if possible.
I love butterflies myself, I am about to purchase a nice Golden Butterfly in the next few days. I have a 125g with a porc. puffer, blonde naso tang, sharptail eel, and a long spined black urchin for tankmates. The naso tang and my blakback are actually "buddies"they are always swimming around and eating together!
As far as Heni's, you could get a pair and add another butterfly that is not too aggressive w/o any isues. Henis are the most peaceful and non-territorial of all butterfly's I do believe. When you do make your purchase make sure they are eating frozen food such as brine or mysis, make sure that their stomach is not sunken in, and that they are active. You will also want to do a drip acclimation on them. Butterfly's as you may know can be very hit or miss and are not the most hardy fish species out there. if you are looking at some at an lfs make sure to take a visit to see them almost daily for a week or ask the lfs how long they have had them.

richl

I have a Heniochus and two Klein's Butterflies in a 125 with 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, several emerald crabs and a bunch of hermits. The Klein's are only in a few weeks, but I've had the Heni for about 6 months and there's been no problem so far. The Heni often let's the cleaner's clean him, but I haven't seen the Klein's do this yet.