Butterflyfish reccomendations for 55g

tigerbarb

I recently lost a heniochus butterfly, due to my failure to quarantine the specimin. I think the heniochus has a certain elegant/fancy look to it, one that really makes an aquarium look like "oooh, saltwater." I'd like to achieve that again. However, I'm not entirely sure that I'd want another of this species, because I'm still pretty upset about the loss. I started looking at the other butterfly fish, and a lot of them are really appealing. Are there any other hardy species that can live in a 55 gallon tank? I am aware that I should research the species thoroughly before I purchase it....plus I have a quarantine tank now. By the way, stock is a tomato clown, a lemonpeel angel and a blue damsel.

darthtang aw

don't konw
hope you can solve it .
that was the biggest waste of bandwidth.
darth (please mail a check to swf.com) Tang
P.S. no butterfly fish species is ideal in a 55. minimum tank size would be 75. and there is no such thing as a hardy butterfly fish.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/389048/butterflyfish-reccomendations-for-55g#post_3435715
P.S. no butterfly fish species is ideal in a 55. minimum tank size would be 75. and there is no such thing as a hardy butterfly fish.
+1. Bigger tanks, better filtration, more room to swim and graze. Butterfly fish are not hardy species of fish. They get stressed really easily and are very prone to disease. A heniochus butterfly fish is still not an ideal fish for that size tank. There are a lot of other fish that scream SALTWATER besides butterfly fish.

tigerbarb

Okay thanks, no butterfly. But I'm still wondering....why do so many sources say that the heniochus is a hardy species, if no butterflies are hardy? Is this just an opinion?

gemmy

I think a lot of it has to do with the way they are captured and with the stress of transporting. Typical fish gets caught then goes to wholesaler then goes to LFS then to your tank. Some fish handle this better than others. I think if you get a healthy specimen that eats like a champ, it may do well.