Butterflyfish

M

mr.reef

ya i was wondering what yall think about butterflys in the my reef tank
? which one would u keep it is reef and i have alot of soft corals and some clams and brains one sps its a monti cap. Which would be the best?

flower

Originally Posted by MR.reef
http:///forum/post/3010342
ya i was wondering what yall think about butterflys in the my reef tank
? which one would u keep it is reef and i have alot of soft corals and some clams and brains one sps its a monti cap. Which would be the best?

The only butterfly I could keep in my reef was a copperbanded butterfly fish. Some are okay, some not, it depends on the fish. Mine was fine. I really liked him but I gave him away when I moved. I bought another that looked like would work out until my anemone killed it.
Fish are funny...you never know...I actually had a Hippo Tang that ate my corals.
EVERYONE said reef safe. I traded him for another to a LFS with the warning he was a coral eater, he later said I was true to my word.

M

mr.reef

see i am looking for a new fish to put in there and no more tangs for me. the yellow was the last that i got its in a 125g and i was looking for something a little bigger and colorful but reef safe. i know how u feel on the blue hippo my grandmother got one and he carrys corals around the tank to where he likes them and the stonies it hurts them bad.but in my idk what else to add i have a yellow,sailfin,and blue hippo the hippo is tiny. then a foxface some clowns but i need the show fish that will catch the eye.

flower

Originally Posted by MR.reef
http:///forum/post/3010403
see i am looking for a new fish to put in there and no more tangs for me. the yellow was the last that i got its in a 125g and i was looking for something a little bigger and colorful but reef safe. i know how u feel on the blue hippo my grandmother got one and he carrys corals around the tank to where he likes them and the stonies it hurts them bad.but in my idk what else to add i have a yellow,sailfin,and blue hippo the hippo is tiny. then a foxface some clowns but i need the show fish that will catch the eye.
I hear you...but those real fancy looking butterfly fish however are not reef safe at all. Seems to be the norm for saltwater fish. The prettier the more dangerous to coral.
So instead of beauty, which you already have plenty of (grown Hippo Tangs are vibrent and flashy) why not try for the most interesting. There are lots of really cool weird things that set fish apart.
In my little reef for example everyone lives the sand sifter goby, he gets sand in his mouth and it comes out his gills it looks so weird. Everybody notices and makes a comment.
In the ocean there are fish that burrow down, hang upside down, swim upside down all kinds of stuff. So maybe you could go that route.

chilwil84

unfortunately most will pick on lps like your brain corals. with a strictly sps tank a few more butterfly fish like the tahitian butterfly become possible but the copperband and maybe a henotious (only one species but cant recall off hand)
dam my spelling sucks.

flower

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/3010841
unfortunately most will pick on lps like your brain corals. with a strictly sps tank a few more butterfly fish like the tahitian butterfly become possible but the copperband and maybe a henotious (only one species but cant recall off hand)
dam my spelling sucks.

I have Microsoft word up and running in the background. I copy paste the post I am going to send and spell check it and edit there, then copy paste and post it.
I have dyslexia real bad and my spelling is okay but my words look garbled like (is looks like si) That way I can be understood and not be made fun of with statements like not finishing the 5th grade.
I know it is all in fun, but it would hurt my feelings. Over time it will improve your spelling as well.

chilwil84

Originally Posted by salt nate
http:///forum/post/3010904
yeah, it does...did you finish fifth grade?
the funny thing is that when i had to take CAT test i would score 12 grade + in 7th and 8th grade in everything but spelling that was 5th grade. spell check is a wonderful thing if it wasnt for it i probably wouldnt have graduated college with a 3.5 gpa