Butterflys, angels, and tangs oh my

gollus

Ok I know im asking for it but is there any way i could get a coral beuty, a red sea sailfin tang, and a long nose butterfly fish all in my tank? My tank is 180 gal with about 300lb of live rock. So what does anyone think? possible? Feazable? unbelivable?

gollus

Oh goodie goodie, ok next question, could I get 2 angles in there ie adding a lemon peel and possible another tang such as a purple tang?

j-cal

As far as 2 tangs go, id get 2 with different bopdy shapes. purple and sailfin are the same. If you must get another, try a hippo or one with similar body shape

gollus

Thanks for all the impute, Im still trying to figure out what would equal a "full" tank. I am good at this for freshwater, but Im still learning for the saltwater. Oh and what is everyones opinions on what order I should put these animals in? Assuming I ever get them.

cincyreefer

I have always found that the dwarf angels are hit or miss with mixing them. Sometimes they do fine together, but often they will fight to the death. Do you know where the coral beauty and lemon peel are from?

blackfish

Nicely Stated Jwtrojan44, My concern is that this is the reef board! Tangs, Dwarf angels, and butterfly's all have been known to corals and clam mantles. Tangs nip more so out of hunger. On the other hand Dwarf angels and butterfly's seem to nip corals especially those added after the fish have become established! I have always believed it is better to get your inverts up and going good before adding fish that might become predators of those same inverts! And then say that your corals stop opening fully or the polyps remain retracted all the time then you have more than one fish that could be the cause and in a reef tank with 300lbs of lr removing all 3 would be a task that i wish upon no one. One more thing if you want to do it anyway certain species of dwarf angel pose a higher risk to your corals than other I think the most likely to nip are the lemonpeels and flames.Good Luck!

gollus

Well thanks for all the info, I am definetly not going to go out and buy all of these fish, but I would still like them a few years down the road. I am particularily set on the long nose butterfy. But if there is absolutely no way I could keep one then I would understand. I do plan on keeping corals, and I did plan on establishing all my coral before I started getting these more expensive/higher risk fish. First I must upgrade my lighting to some kind of MH which I am still trying to decide on. Then I will start purchasing corals, I am particularily interesting in the large and small stonys. I could part with any of these fish but if possible I would like to have a butterfly, angle, and tang in the tank. Does anyone have recommendations on certain species of these that would be less likely to nip at coral, or corals that are less likely to be nipped at or that could survive being bitten? thanks again for all the info.

ozadars

gollus, lnb is one of my fav but sometimes they nip on corals and clams :( you can try copperband they are safer but harder. There are more reef safe butterflies.
i wouldnt mix two dwarf angels because they can chase each other expecially lemonpeel is one of the most aggressive dwarf angel but i believe you mix two, three or more of the same species. If two they will pair up if three or more they will school, that what i heard but dont have any experience... In Turkey there are people keeping two same kind dwarf angels like flames and they all swim everywhere together. They also lay eggs if i remember correct.
For tangs, i would just add one, not common tang. Sure as jwtrojan44 said you have loads of rocks so i wouldnt add a big tang like sailfin, naso or unicorn. What about hippo, clown, powder blue, achilles, white cheek or as waterfaller said black zebrasoma tang? Except hippo and black tang these are very hard fish but i love both hard and uncommon fish. Also having a healthy, well GROWING hippo tang is rare these days...
Good Luck

irish pride

waterfaller I afree w/ you on the "out of norm tangs" I particularly like the achillies myself. I have yet to see many in tanks and had I not already had my tanks where I want them I would have one.

jonthefb

orange tail tomini tang....very cool!
hey gollus, you still going to the meting next week?
good luck
jon

gollus

I hope I can I have a math test on thursday and it might cut in a little, but I think is is around 5 and the meeting is around 7 so I might be a little late but I should make it.