Buying a 125

krunk

Hi, im thinking about a 125, due too the fact the fish in my 55 will out grow it. Me and my grandpa are making the stand, and canopy ourselves, ive been researching and printing off pics of DIY stands. How much do yout think it would cost for the Tank, Wet/Dry Filter (that would be the best too go in a FO right?), i have a 20 or a ten i could use for the fuge or sump. For sand, im going too use 200# South down playsand. And for lighting, since it is a FO, im just going too use FW lights. So all i need prces for is a cheap, but reliable Wet/Dry filter, and the tank. How much LR should i get, i was thinking somewhere around 20-30#.

vibe

55 gallon tanks around here cost $69 for the tank itself. cant tell you the other stuff because i dunno. post a pic when you done with the tank and stand though. i'd like to see :) sry i couldnt be more helpful:(

fshhub

the amount of LR is entirely up to you, but more is better
as for the sand, plan on about 20$. It is like almost 4 for a 50lb bag
if you are going to use a sump and or fuge, you do not need a wet dry at all, jsut a good pump figure @ 100 or more, depending on the isze(get a good one, do not try to save on the pump)
lighting, yes you could use No florescent lights. But, I would go with at least 4 bulbs(2 wide on both ends) at 40 watts each(not the cheap FW light bulbsO, the lighting will help wiht the macro algaes, and also the colors of the fish
you can get balast kits for like 60$ for a 2 bulb set(need 2) =120$
bulbs are about 80 to 100$ for all of them.
Our lfs sells 125s with stand and lights for like 800, I forget what all else comes with it though.

acez28

I would say get more rock also....dont all have to be live but more than 20-30 lbs you suggested. I have a 100 gal and use a sump. I have a US Acryllic 30" Protein skimmer and a Mag5 as a return pump. The Skimmer i got off of ---- for $60 and the pump was $89.

S

sebae0

hey krunk i live in michigan also and around me you can get the tank for about 300.00. also you might want to look in the trading times for a complete deal sometimes you can find a good one.

krunk

aalright, thanks everyone. I called about 6 LFS and cheapest one was 320 for just the tank, but my family members will pitch in 150$ for help, so i wont be as bad. But for the sump/fuge, i'll ask for help in teh DIY forum.