buying a new cracked 240g tank

butters

i LFS has a 240 gallon tank, i think its new, it looks prettly clean. but the front glass and one side have a large crack in it.....
they have $100 bucks on it, but i tihnk if i tell them $50 they will take it.
and i cant remember if it has overflows, how hard would it be to get it drilled?
would it be worth it to replace the glass on it?
the glass would prolly run about $150?
id like to get it and slowly fix it, and build a stand and canopy for it.

sign guy

I doubt you can get a piece of glass for it around 150. I quoted glass for a 300 and it was around 1200. how is the tank made is it euro braced, temperd or siliconed?

butters

it is siliconed, with the plastic trim around it.
im going up there tomorrow, i see if its tempered and if its got overflows and maybe a brand.

sign guy

Id stay away from the trim I cant imagine its a good idea. I know its only 50 bucks but lets say you fix it fill it and 6 month down the road it blows. just too risky for me

triga22

I wouldnt do it. Just buy it new. Id hate to pull all the money into it and have it explode on your house.

sign guy

Originally Posted by TriGa22
What being able to suf on the couch in your living room! lol
wait that sounds kinda cool

scsinet

You'll be sorry....

It won't be a deal if it floods your house. Besides, manipulating panes of glass that large is difficult, resealed tanks are much more likely to leak in the future, and you have a LOT at stake when you are dealing with that much water, from a standpoint of water damage AND livestock investment.
I think Sign-Guy is right, by the time you've bought replacement glass, assuming it is cheaper, it won't be much cheaper... you'll save maybe 10-20%, but you'll have no warranty and that constant nagging feeling that you'll walk out of your bedroom one morning, feel that "squish" under your feet, and just as in a VW commercial... lament "Holy Sh... " to yourself.

scsinet

Originally Posted by califishdude
Couldn't he buy the tank and just put water in it with a powerhed or something and see what happens?
With two cracks in the tank, what are you thinking will happen?

psusocr1

With two cracks in the tank, what are you thinking will happen?

make sure you have the video camera rolling!

dawman

That is a recipe for disaster . Why do you think the LFS is selling it so cheap ? If it could reasonably be repaired and be safe the LFS would do so and sell it for more .

reefer545

Not too often on this site an oppurtunity like this comes along. We all get crap for giving people a hard time, but in this case. DONT BE STUPID. No offense. I would HATE to have to read that you buoght it, it exploded water all over the place (if you got it filled to begin with), and (though you could get a great check from the insurance company) your wife got to say: I told you so. J/K.
I saw the opportunity, I took it, adn it felt good. But only for a second or two.