Buying a RO/DI unit tomarrow Whats the best one out

total

RO/DI unit. I'm looking for both together. Have $250 to spend onit. 10 to 20 gal a day is fine. Going to store water in 5 gal jugs for a 55 gal tank. Using about 15 gal a week for top off and changes. Thanks
TTFN

dsboyd

total,
I just ordered one online. It was a Kent Maxima RO/DI HiS. 35 GPD. I got it for $191.00 delivered to my door.
If you email me, I'll tell you where to get it. dsboyd2@home.com

jimi

I have the Kent hi-s 60gpd. You may want to think about a higher gpd. You may not believe how slow 25gpd actually is.

total

Thanks, I was looking at the kent maxxima hi-s. The only time I'll be using it is on the weekends when I'm home. I just need to fill 15 gal a week. I should be able to knock that out in two days with a 36gpd filter. I really like the price of $191.
How often do you have to change the filters and what do the filter cost?
TTFN

jimi

I change the carbon and micron filter about every 6 months they are cheap. The main filter only needs to be changed aroud 3 to 4 years but is pretty expensive.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So can you turn the RO units off and on at will? I thought they hooked up to your sink faucet [usually].
How are these things hooked up?

jimi

Some people get them hooked up to a seperate area of the house where the unitl will fill a container the have a shut off valve of some sort when it is full. I bought an attachment at a local water supply store that screws onto my downstairs bathroom faucet. When you pull a pin on the side of the attachment it directs the water through the unit, when the pin is in it functions as a normal faucet.

raylau

jimi,
I am planning to buy a Kent Maxxiam Hi-S RO/DI unit with 60 gpd. Do you just use the unit for your fish tank or you drink the water as well. Is it safe to drink the water that being DI. I know RO water is ok to drink but what about the DI water.

total

Well, I installed mine last night. The directions say to have it installed by a Pro plummer. Ya Right. The filter on my tank is harder to setup the this RO/DI. The system has two exit lines comming off of it. One is a waist line that you put down the drain, the other is a product line. The waist line puts out 4 times as much as the product line. Seems like alot of waist to me.
Anyway, the directions say not to drink the water, becouse their is no minerals in it and the tast is poor. And I can conferm the tast is poor. Thanks for the replies.
TTFN

dsboyd

Total,
Glad to hear you got it up and running! I'm waiting to set mine up when I get the rest of my tank set up.
Good Luck!