Buying a used 55g fish only with live rock type

reice05

It is currently up and running and comes with its a fish only with live rock it comes with protein skimmer, orbit lighting, cascade filter, power heads heaters. It also has about 25-40lbs??? of live rock but he is keeping the fish. I just got a couple questions if u dont mind helping me with. I plan on keeping his water so the live rock doesnt get messed up and he only lives maybe 5 min from me so it not a far drive. Is there anything special i need to do when i get the set-up home?? Can i just set it up pour the old water in the tank and be fine?? Also is there any chemicals or any other items i may need to get, i know need a hydrometer but is there anything else? Sorry if they are dumb question but im new to saltwater but i ran across a GREAT deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did that same thing when I got my first tank, so it is possible form what I know. Just make sure you have enough containers for the water and that they seal good. Try and keep the rock in the water from what I am told. How long has this tank been running for? I would let the water sit for a few days and get your self a test kit. (API is what I use) The reason I say that is that I have been told moving tanks like this could cause a mini cycle. If you are ever planning on going reef I would just buy a refractometer and not a hydrometer. The refractometer's are more accurate. Anyways enjoy your new tank!

xxianxx

first off start off slow this hobby is a very slow moving hobby. nothing should be rushed. and u can take the lr out of the tank and put em in a tub or a bag 5 min out of water wont do a thing to them
. and id drain the water bout half then transport the tank it will b much lighter.

jonp

If you have spare tubs (or go to Home Depot, they're like $20 for a 30 gallon?) just put the rock and water in those and fish with water in another. You want a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. I would get a few gallons of water from a LFS incase you have a many cycle while setting things back up. Make sure everything is working properly and he maintained it well. Research a little and make sure you ask plenty of questions before purchasing. Last thing you want to do is 'impulse buy' and hate the hobby because someone messed up their tank and sold you their headache.

reice05

so will i be fine just setting it right back up and putting the live rock back in or should i wait?? like i said he only lives only 5-10 mins away from me. i didnt plan on getting any fish for a couple weeks so i can get used to testing and checking the water.

jonp

You should be fine setting it right back up. Might get a little cycle due to moving the sand. What fish (or / and inverts) are you getting with the sale?

Make sure it runs for a couple weeks first. You will most likely get a cycle. I would suggest doing quite a bit of research, or browsing on this forum. Anything you will run into or are afraid of running into, most likely, has already been addressed! :) If you are planning on doing a FO tank than you don't necessarily need a refractometer. I just bought one because people claimed hydrometers are highly inaccurate. I tested my SG and it was nearly, if not exactly, the same. However, I do have a little more ease of mind when I think about how much money is sitting in my tank. Good Luck! Take it slow and most of all welcome to SWF.com!

reice05

a few mushrooms, polips, and red sea pom pom zenias, domino damsel..Im just scared ima set it back up at my house and kill everything. Im new to the saltwater thing

Originally Posted by Reice05
http:///forum/post/2695954
a few mushrooms, polips, and red sea pom pom zenias, domino damsel..Im just scared ima set it back up at my house and kill everything. Im new to the saltwater thing
don't get a damsel...you'll regret it in the long run. I have two and I want to get rid of them. I am starting a new tank and wanted to cycle it with them (even though you shouldn't) but didn't because I didn't want them to miraculously live through it. Needless to say, I'll ship them to you for free if you pay shipping

reice05

lol no im fine..thats what the tank is coming with but the guy said i could have the fish if i want but i think ima decline on that.

naclfish

good call they suck my lfs sold me 3 when i started my tank needless to say 2 are still there 2 years later. home depot sells the homer bucket for like 5 bucks they make moving ure liver rock pretty easy.