Buying from Saltwaterfish.com

johnnycash

How many of you buy online from Saltwaterfish.com or any other online store? What are your opinions regarding this? Do you feel comfortable buying something you cannot see first?

oyam1

its ok for inverts
fish will be small at times......
if you dont have a good lfs then .com is good
this .com has best fish prices, but poor inventory (always sold out)

stapler

Go to the new hobbyist forum, and click on the acronyms thread on the top. It has all the acronyms that are used in this board.

elfdoctors

Originally posted by rbmount
I've bought inverts,fish and coral from here, and haven't been dissapointed yet.

ditto.
I've got another order being shipped right now. The selection should impove as their new center gets up and going. The sizes have been as big as my LFS.

cbrynolf

I am tempted to order. But for now was planning on order inverts only. Do the fish actually come delivered in good shape. I worry that the fish are going to be near death by the time they get here even though its only overnight. All that handling and bouncing around. I know its done all the time it just seems risky?

elfdoctors

The fish I have ordered have always been in great shape. They are usually in their nighttime colors after being shipped in the dark inside of the box. They warn that the fish may be in shock but I have always had the fish arrive swimming.
Think about where your LFS gets their fish. They were probably shipped to the LFS. Fish are used to getting bounced around in waves.
The LFS closest to me doesn't even give a guarantee and is more expensive. SWF.com will back up their products for 6 days. Skipping the middleman also lowers the chance of disease as the fish will not be mixed with other fish as often. Which purchase do you think is more risky now?
There are few downsides. You cannot watch the fish eat and you cannot choose a particular fish. You cannot return it to the store. SWF.com tends to have a better selection then my LFS but it still leaves something to be desired. This will hopefully improve as they open their new facility.

dankell

im thinking bout purchacing a couple of fish, flame angel, and a purple tang, any thing to worry about in shipping ? would appreciate any info or opinions

texag04

Something to remember...most to all these fish are wild and made the trip from all parts of the world, such as the Indian Ocean, to Saltwaterfish.com HQ. Another short trip to your house shouldnt affect them that much.

jabvalley

I placed an order just before they shut down for the move and it was 4 percs, 2 emerald crabs. The percs were in there own bag, the crabs shared a bag. All of this was in a stryo cooler with heat packs. The percs were swimming upright and the crabs were moving around. The color of the percs are 10x brighter then LFS and 1/3 the price. I intend to order again and was very pleased with what I received. You have nothing to worry about.:) :) :)

technik

The first time I ever ordered from SWF thet had my order backordered for almost a month so I canceled and went elsewhere. I decided to give them a try again a few months ago and was very happy. My second order should be shipped out today.

aegiale

I really like buying from this site. I think in generally it's less expensive than most LFSs when you purchase more than a couple items at a time and, I'm not sure about with yours, but many of my old LFSs didn't have a 7 day guarantee. SWF.com does, so that makes me feel better even though I have yet to return something to them. Overall the quality of items has been good... and as for fish size, even though sometimes they're small, I expected them to be so because it states the size to expect in the description.
Now I've moved from Miami to a smaller area in NC and there is only one saltwater LFS here. Their prices are outrageous, their selection is poor, and in general the quality is poor as well. .com stores are my only hope and so far I've been very pleased!

bheron

I really want to do my best to be loyal to swf b/c this site is what kept me in this hobby, and is the only reason i am finally having some success!!!! the best.
however, b/c i discovered that you can't actually talk to a human being, ever, about your order, i went elsewhere when i spent $150 on my cleaner/invert crew. sorry, just couldnt take the risk buying without the option for human interaction (i'm in the internet business!)

dankell

thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated. i was just concerned cause you really dont get to choose and see what your getting before you purchase, and there are so many lfs around me here in mesquite tx. and they really all have a great selection in marine fish, just kinda costly !! i think ill give sfc a shot at a couple of fish....thanks again :)