Buying my new tank today. 75 or 90, opinions please.

tjkohler

I know, I know, the bigger the better. It's a $50 difference between the two reef ready varieties ($167/75, $215/90). I'll be putting in a 5 inch DSB, so that will leave me with 13 inches in the 75 or 17 inches with the 90. I want clams, so if I get the 90, I will probably have to get 400 watt MH. If I go the 75 I can probably do 250 watt MH. The footprints are the same.
What will be my advantages of going with the 90 gallon. I've already 'moved up' from the original story I told my wife of the 55 gallon to the 75 gallon. I'll be ordering it today so HELP PLEASE!

iechy

The best reason I can give you is that as soon as your tank is full you'll wish you could add that one new piece you just found. At least with th 90 it'll take a little longer till it's full. My next one will be a 180 which is as big as I can fit in the place where it needs to go or else I'd go bigger.

dcm22

I have only one opinion on this subject. The BIGGER the BETTER. I have a 150 and am thinking about going to a 300. :)

tjkohler

slothy,
That's at the 15 and Ryan store. It doesn't include the overflow kit, just the aquarium, drilling, and the divider.

tjkohler

Normal price. I think I asked a month or so ago if they were going to have sale prices on the glass tanks and they said no. Although there will be an acrylic dealer there that will sell acrylic tanks at store cost.

ironreef

bigger isn't always better if you can't afford the maintance= cost takes away from my beer $$. But since you are getting a 4' tank i would get the 120g . Cost the same for 75-120g for equipment. Maybe @ $300 more 75 vs 120g. But lighting would be the same= 4' the rest may just need to be alittle bigger. But anyway the cost would be close unless you go custom. But since you need the wifey permisson :) I would get at least the 75g 55g suck in a reef. anything bigger would be nicer.

slick

I was going to get a 75 gallon but thought after you add the sand and everything it would look to short. I decided to go with the 90 but that is just me. I don't plan on having clams in my tank so it wasen't an issue. But I love my 90g. Next tank will be at least 200g