Buying RO/DI water

mossad327

Is it possible to buy RO/DI water from the grocery store or will I need to go to the LFS or setup my own every time?

clarkiiboi

It's possible to buy RO water (I believe it just RO) from machines that you fill your own containers with. Super Wal-mart and Krogers here have one, BUT be very careful and test the water from these machines before adding---who knows when the last time the resins where changed and that will play a great role on whether or not its quality water. I personally won't risk it and won't waste my time.
Anyways, I also don't yet own a RO/DI unit, but my LFS just gives me the water. All I have to do is bring the containers. It's a hassle, but it works. Ask your LFS, they may do this also. Another thing I do and some others here do is buy the Great Value (I believe that is the name) Distilled water from Wal-mart off the shelves. I have seen an improvement with each (LFS or Distilled). In the long run, it's much cheaper (if you have the $) to buy a unit, but these are other options---HTH

dive1

I carried water for over a yr before I purchased a ro unit. It has been a life saver both for me and my fish/reef. I hooked mine up to a float in the sump never to carry water again except durning water changes. This also allowed me to set up a 55gal drum with extra water for changes. By using the float system you water is more stable due to the slow addition of water rather than gallons at a time. It was a job running the water line (1/4 in tubing ) to the tank but well worth it. The float handles the rest. It also makes the skimmer wk better due to the constant water level in sump..It was the best investment I have done to the tank. Good luck . Terry