Buying setup system

mainejo1

I currently have a 30gal. with live rock and 3 inverts, and want more! I have been pricing a 90 gal. with my lfs and he called to tell me he had a customer wanting to sell a 90 gal with trickle filter, protein skimmer, power head, good lights, live rock, 5 fish, books, food, meds, etc. for $4oo. Seems like a good deal.?? If I get it, I definately want my own water so both of my systems have the same composition. My lfs said he will take the fish in trade for the tangs, butterflyfishes, etc. that I have been dying to take care of. Do I need to cycle this new tank, or will the established filter, skimmer, live rock,etc. rapidly cycle the new water that I will fill the tank with? I could take the "blues brothers"(yellow tailed damsels) out of my current tank to help cycle, but they seem so happy and each have their own living quarters, so I hate to disturb them. Thanks, as always, to all for the input!

hasq

Although not an expert, I have a tendency to believe that your new tank will still "cycle"; however, the cycle will not be as extreme as a "new tank" that does not have any nitro-bacterias....If at all possible, try to transport the live rock and filter media in the original tank's water. This will decrease the amount of nitro-bacteria that dies and hence, less amonia...nitro, and nitra.

fishgirl

only $400!?! I WANT IT!!!! I'm drooooling for such a deal, since I only have a 30 gallon myself! :p Any ideas on places to get these kinds of deals?? Thanx. You can email to JeanCF@Prodigy.net or tell me on this BB.

mainejo1

Fishgirl, I think I just got lucky and have a lfs guy that is really a good person. He could have sold me an entire new system, but instead will now only sell me fish. He was trying to help out his customer that was selling the tank due to illness, and trying to help me as well. So, if you have a lfs that you trust and work well with, just tell him what you want and that you could possibly affort it if he could help you find a used setup. Also, most areas in the country have a weekly publication that does nothing but advertise used things that people want to sell. Here in Maine it is "Uncle Henry's". You can also take out an ad (usually free or real cheap)in the publication under the "looking for" section. Hope you get your big tank!

kris

I agree check your local paper, I always browse thru mine and find at least 4 each week--some established some not-but either way pretty cheap. I got my newest addition
: 90g solid oak stand and matching canopy with lights and some misc. junk for $450. I don't recommend buying used equipment however.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I bought a NEW 72gal "bow front" aquarium that included a solid pine base, panelled cabinet doors, glass cover and florescent light with housing for $483. Granted, no filters, skimmers, etc., but it was new and it was real wood. No scuffs, scratches or "inherited" bacteria or equiptment difficulties inherrant with previously owned stuff.
I'm not the "used car" type just because I don't like to take on someone else's problems; but that's me! Good luck with the new setup if you decide to go with it!