buying skimmer soon

revstu

I need to make my final decision on a in sump protein skimmer for my 250 gallon FOWLR. I have considered the ASM G-4+ rated at 400 gallons. On the other big site they really do not like this skimmer brand. Does anyone on this board use this skimmer or know if its a good decision for my tank? I have thought about the Octopus extreme line of skimmers but I have 200 pounds of rock cycling in my tank and It could take quite awhile before the reviews are back on the octpus extreme skimmers and I would like to get my skimmer hooked up soon. Thanks.

brandan

I just bought an Octo 150 Recirc for my new 100gal setup. I think I am going to like it. I ran it on my 55 for a day or so. It seems like it should handle well over 150gals.

revstu

The Octopus DNW-150 recirculating skimmer is only rated to 180 gallons. The next step up ( DNW-200 ) is to tall to fit in my sump . I only have 26 inchs to work with.

brandan

I was just saying that I like the skimmer. I wasn't saying it would work. It is definitely too small for your setup, I was just saying I am happy so far with the brand itself.

acrylic51

Honestly I'd opt and wait for the extreme skimmer.....I know there is a delay with the shipping. I heard it will be sometime after the new year before they actually make it to the stores. ASM G4+ would be pushing it IMO.....If you can't wait for the Extreme, my other choices would be either ATI or the Octopus NW

revstu

Any guess on if the Xtreme 200 would be enough for a 250 gallon tank or do I need to spend another $150.00 and get the Xtreme 250. Thanks.

acrylic51

Yeah that skimmer should be enough......That's what everyone is questioning........
The waiting game for the skimmers to arrive, and people are second guessing their decisions, but at that price and their ability IMHO worth the extra couple days of waiting.....
There was a post on the other big forum on the delay and Marine Solutions said that the skimmers are in their town, just they won't have them in their possession till after the new year and that they skimmers will be turned around ASAP.